Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bruttium, Kroton, authentic?  (Read 932 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Bruttium, Kroton, authentic?
« on: December 10, 2018, 08:56:32 am »
Dear Forum!

A friend has mailed me the pic of a silver-triobol from Kroton that he has found in a box of his father and asks me  to identify it. It was part of a piece of jewelry. Here is my result:

Bruttium, Kroton, 525-425 BC
AR - Triobol, 9-11mm, 1.5g
obv. Pegasus with curled wings flying l.
rev.Tripod with Lebes
      l. QPO
ref. BMC 51-58

Because this types are not in the centre of my collection I'm not able to make a statement about its authenticity. Is it a real ancient coin or only a tourist fake?

Thanks in advance
Jochen

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Bruttium, Kroton, authentic?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 09:40:33 am »
The photos are so poorly focused that it is impossible to say much about the coin, but my first impression is that it does not look good.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 11:25:04 am »
I agree with Mac. Probably a poor cast fake.
PeteB

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 04:27:43 pm »
Thank you. I will mail him the sad result.

Best regards

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 08:29:59 pm »
I'm not very good about telling coins from a photograph, but specifically why do you consider it a cast fake?  If the photo was better, could it confirm or deny what you perhaps only suspect???

I am not saying you're wrong, I am just asking for a more explicit analysis of whether it is a cast fake.

Of course, if it is a replica, it is a replica of a genuine coin, there are triobols who have a Corinthian pegasus (and usually a koppa) on one side, and a tripod with an ethnic on the other.  These coins should actually be considered joint issues, as are a lot of the other fractionals from Kroton at that time.

Kind Regards,
JBF

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 11:15:39 pm »
These are usually found pretty rough but the smooth devices and rough fields is kind of strange.  A better pic will certainly help.

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 09:54:53 am »
Dear friends!

I have asked my friend to send me a better pic. Now he has scanned his coin and here it is. I think this pic is much better to make a decision.

Thanks in advance
Jochen

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 11:35:11 am »
Still not a great pic but I would lean towards real.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 12:14:56 pm »
A large photo of the edges would help.
PeteB

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 03:18:30 pm »
I lean just slightly toward cast replica.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 09:27:59 am »
A very difficult situatíon! Now my friend has scanned 3 different parts of the edge. What do you can say now?

Or if that coin would be offered for sale (it is not!) would you buy it?

Thanks in Advance
Jochen

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 09:39:55 am »
The edges look OK. I just cannot give a worthwhile opinion from the photos.  Of course, I would not buy it being uncertain of authenticity.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 06:13:03 pm »
Kroton Stater is (about) 8. grams.
A sixth of that (triobol) is, ideally, 1.33... grams.
On Magna Graecia coinage (magnagraecia.nl) out of 39 tripod/pegasus triobols listed but not shown,
2 weigh at/over 1.4 (and one at 1.4), of course, .1 is not that much.
Your friend has 1.5, but operator error or inexact scales could probably account for that.

I cannot find any like your coin on magnagraecia.nl, or coin archive, or elsewhere.  Which means if it is cast, it is not cast of any "popular" example.  On the tripod there looks like a "pit" at the left lion's foot and between the left and center tripod leg.  "pit" is my term for a hole, why it is there, I don't know.  Don't read anything more into the term please.  I would assume that something scraped across the pegasus.

By "like yours," I mean minor things like what side is the ethnic on, how the ground line has one dot up above the line of the others, the pegasus facing left, no koppa below the pegasus (although it may have been corroded off.)  the koppa and the omicron and the ornaments above the tripod, are formed by punches.  The dotted rim on the tripod side.  magnagraecia has enough verbal descriptions to account for such features, but does not have the corresponding photos.

It does not pass the sniff test, could be authentic, but there are problems with it, I would not want it if it was offered.  To me, too many questions.  It is my area, and always looking for varieties, but too many questions.

One question you might pursue is whether there are forgeries of this kind of coin, and whether they look at all like yours.  I would think that there is not a big market for forged fractionals, but I haven't looked into it, so I might be wrong.

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2018, 07:06:33 am »
Thank you so much for your contribution. I have recommended that my friend should show his coin to an experienced numismatist. I think we have one in Tübingen.

Jochen

All coins are guaranteed for eternity