Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Interesting Standing Emperor? Byzantine Seal Cross on Globe  (Read 823 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Interesting Standing Emperor? Byzantine Seal Cross on Globe
« on: December 22, 2018, 11:31:41 pm »
I just received an interesting Byzantine seal which measures 23.09 mm and 8.61 g.  On one side, there is a standing figure holding what appears to be a cross on a globe in his left hand and holding a staff or maybe a long cross in his right.   NIK is to the left of the standing figure.  On the other side is a similar standing figure definitely holding a cross on a globe in his left hand (the dots of the cross are more distinctive) and holding a staff or maybe a long cross in his right.  Some what like the pose of thr emperor on the follis of Constans II.  I have read that holding the globe was symbolic of the emperor's rule over the Christian world/empire.  It looks like 11th -12th century to me.  Any thoughts? Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Interesting Standing Emperor? Byzantine Seal Cross on Globe
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 12:06:56 pm »
You have got the date correct. NIK might be a trace of the personal name Niketas, but without more text or a parallel example in better preservation, that must remain incertain, I fear. The standing figure on your seal is most probably the archangel Michael holding a sceptre and a globe. You can see some traces of his large wings in the fields. It is not an emperor in any case.
Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 01:44:17 pm »
Thank you Gert for your helpful information!  Vrolijk Kerstfeest!
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 02:57:26 pm »
Bedankt!
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity