Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Include size and weight!!  (Read 4831 times)

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
Include size and weight!!
« on: December 09, 2018, 02:50:43 am »
Almost all the recent ID requests are missing size... Some from members with over 100 posts... And no one is calling the posters out for it.... And the thread titles all seem to be along the lines of "ID HELP" with no information....
     This severely limits the usefulness of the threads as references... Please read the rules before posting, and can the members who so kindly help out, also remind those who request the help, of the rules...

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Re: Include size and weight!!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 08:03:19 pm »
Almost all the recent ID requests are missing size... Some from members with over 100 posts... And no one is calling the posters out for it.... And the thread titles all seem to be along the lines of "ID HELP" with no information....
     This severely limits the usefulness of the threads as references... Please read the rules before posting, and can the members who so kindly help out, also remind those who request the help, of the rules...

It's almost endlessly wondrous how many posts here, over years and years, contain negligible information, sometimes not even pix, and use some variation of the message board's known topic (identification help) as their subject line.  Some are surely beginners but a moment reviewing a post's content and subject line before clicking 'submit' might be a moment wisely spent if one expects others to help out on their own time.  

That said, many folks do post sharp pix and put useful info like diameter, weight, metal type, etc. right in the subject line.  It's a good bet those posts get more attention and lead to the most interesting discussion threads here.

Lots of experts here are very helpful but likely some never even click on the information-free 'ID Help' subject lines.  No one wants to discourage anyone or be unkind about it, but life is short and some may naturally respond to a thoughtfully composed post that offers the best chance for productive discussion.

PtolemAE

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 09:17:20 pm »
+1

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 10:13:55 am »
And no one is calling the posters out for it

As a moderator for this board i am perhaps partly to blame for not doing more to prevent these misdemeanors from occurring. Unfortunately having to balance my daytime jobb and the moderating duties undertaken on behalf of Forvm members, this does not always allow me the necessary time to keep track of all the posts lacking adequate and imaginative titles, weight and sizes. I do however if time is permitting, send a polite mail to members for whom for some reason or another have unwittingly forgoten to read Forvm rules. There´s only so much i can do to prevent this from occuring. There are of course Forum members that offer their assistance ( you know who you are  ;) ). I do not want to come across as a bad guy or a stickler for rules, so inevitably i refrain from grilling new members during their initial posts.

I think PtolemAE summed this up quite nicely. "No one wants to discourage anyone or be unkind about it, but life is short and some may naturally respond to a thoughtfully composed post that offers the best chance for productive discussion."

Arados (Martin)

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 12:57:41 pm »
And no one is calling the posters out for it

As a moderator for this board i am perhaps partly to blame for not doing more to prevent these misdemeanors from occurring. Unfortunately having to balance my daytime jobb and the moderating duties undertaken on behalf of Forvm members, this does not always allow me the necessary time to keep track of all the posts lacking adequate and imaginative titles, weight and sizes. I do however if time is permitting, send a polite mail to members for whom for some reason or another have unwittingly forgoten to read Forvm rules. There´s only so much i can do to prevent this from occuring. There are of course Forum members that offer their assistance ( you know who you are  ;) ). I do not want to come across as a bad guy or a stickler for rules, so inevitably i refrain from grilling new members during their initial posts.

I think PtolemAE summed this up quite nicely. "No one wants to discourage anyone or be unkind about it, but life is short and some may naturally respond to a thoughtfully composed post that offers the best chance for productive discussion."

Arados (Martin)

Thank you, Arados.  Those who click on post titles that border on trolling ('ID Please', etc.) or respond to content-free posts (with another post to drag out information that should have been in the first post) participate (maybe unintentionally) in the ongoing practices that inspired this thread.  The desire to be helpful is usually admirable but maybe sometimes misplaced.  Follow-up 'please give (information)...' replies waste time no less than the posts that beget them.  

The most helpful experts here who like productive interactions in their valuable spare time do neither and the many thoughtful requests for help don't require a preamble series of posts just to extract minimal information.  If someone, even a beginner, is thoughtful and genuinely interested in identifying a coin there'll be no need to drag them kicking and screaming into a productive conversation.

Thread-starts with meaningless subject titles needn't be moderated, deleted or policed if no one 'rewards' them.  Those that lack basic information needn't be 'rewarded', either.  It may be unwise even to ask someone who obviously couldn't be bothered to do so to 'read the rules' or remind them about discussing prices, values, etc. It's all voluntary and some issues can be self-moderating if not inadvertently encouraged.  Everyone here has an important right they are free to exercise: the right 'not to click' :)

PtolemAE

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 01:22:25 pm »
Don't be too hard on you Arados. I don't agree with you when you take the blame. All moderators on this forum work in the shadow and it's so easy to forget your contribution here. I believe it is the responsibility of all members to sometime remember the participants who forgot the rules to do so. And also thanks a lot to the volunteers who are willing to contribute in the success of this site !
DT

Offline Michele S

• Legionary
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 09:38:47 am »
I'm sorry - it is my fault. I am new to the board and am a huge fan and collector of numismatics. So with time I hope to learn more from this beautiful dicipline and from experts such as yourselves. Please let me know where I can find these guidelines in order to follow them.

Please forgive me and I apologise again if I have posted in the incorrect manner.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 09:58:53 am »
I'm sorry - it is my fault.

Hi Michele S,

Have you been told by a Forvm member that your not following rules ? If you haven´t then i´m a little perplexed to why you felt the need to answer this thread ?

However if you need to acquaint yourself with Forvm rules then please follow the link provided below.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=18398.0

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 04:07:46 pm »
BUT....... Please be very gentle with newbies. We don't want to scare them away.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity