Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Can someone help me in identifying this roman coin, real or fake?  (Read 596 times)

Offline Brandon M

• Legionary
Im guessing its a fake because the edges look so smooth but I have no idea honestly.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery

Offline Brandon M

• Legionary
Re: Can someone help me in identifying this roman coin, real or fake?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 02:33:13 pm »
Thank you very much for that. The coin however does not weigh nowhere close to 4.9 grams, its roughly the size of a penny. Would this mean its a smaller denomination or what? If real, with the hole drilled in it it takes away nearly all value right? What would be the value about if it was in good shape and do you know why its domed like it is?

Offline vrtsprb

• Praetorian
    • Coins of Probus
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 06:19:38 pm »
[...] nowhere close to 4.9 grams, its roughly the size of a penny. Would this mean its a smaller denomination or what? If real, with the hole drilled in it it takes away nearly all value right? What would be the value about if it was in good shape and do you know why its domed like it is?

In Gordian's time a "smaller" denomination would be a denarius, and would be marked by a laurel leaf wreath.
The radiate crown is here as a mark of denomination indicating "double" value over denarius, but it was really closer to 1.5.

There was some variance in weight.

I can't 100% confirm, from these photos, if your item is a cast copy, but it does not inspire confidence.

However, let us be generous and assume that it isn't:

1) Looks like the edges have been filed away to fit the object into a jewelry mount.
That'd account for some of the missing weight.

2) It's slightly concave also because someone banged it with a hammer to fit into a jewelry mount, or intended to do so.

Holing always does take away some value off a coin, but does not reduce it to nearly nothing, as it would with a modern coin.

Given the condition of the item, uncertainty of authenticity, and the hole — it's not a treasure.

The coin which sold at auction, cited above by Ralf, was around ~400 USD. But it is also a scarcer variety, and in decent grade.
Specialized Gordian collectors will have to say why it brought such a price, which is rather unusual for one of his antoniniani, which usually go for 30-50 USD ballpark.

G/<

Offline Brandon M

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 09:27:22 pm »
Thank you so very much! Your truly exceeding my expectation of what sort of response I would get :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity