Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Seal of John the Illoustrious? 6th Century?  (Read 767 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Byzantine Seal of John the Illoustrious? 6th Century?
« on: December 05, 2018, 03:55:15 pm »
I purchased an interesting Byzantine seal with monograms on each side within a wreath border.  It is large and measures approximately 24.82 mm by 21.21 mm.  It weighs 11.16 g.  The seller deciphered the obverse as monogram, reading as IΩΑΝΝΟΥ  of John - which seems correct to me.  The reverse monogram is damaged.  The seller believed that is could be read as  IΛΛΟΥΣΤΡΙΟΥ Illoustrious.  Additionally, it does not have the usual die axis of 12.00 as can be seen from the channels.  Is this a seal of John the Illoustrious?  All ideas would be appreciated.  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Byzantine Seal of John the Illoustrious? 6th Century?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 05:09:19 am »
Hard to see. What letters do you think there are on the monogram? Can it be CEPGIOV?
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity