Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Question concerning Votive lead plaque...  (Read 1022 times)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Question concerning Votive lead plaque...
« on: December 01, 2018, 02:23:42 pm »
Ave!

Lead; 85mm x 75mm/113gm

This arrived the other day. The 1st photo is "as arrived". The 2nd is after a bit of cleaning. The 3rd is the only similar example I could find with Google and isn't much help.

My question is whether anyone has or can direct me to a clearer image of this plaque...so I have a better idea of what is actually going on.
The top tier has a snake right. The second tier two horsemen facing (Dioscuri?) a figure in the center. Beneath the horseman left, a fish? Beneath the horseman right, a crouching lion (?).
Third tier, left to right; two funny little guys facing each other? Center ???. Three pellets and a cock bird above a dolphin swimming left?

Thanks for looking and your help!

Best to all,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Question concerning Votive lead plaque...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 10:37:42 am »
Just google "Roman votive lead plaque" and select images.

I found several of yours with better quality.

These lead plaques were made from very few moulds so many are identical.

First make sure you have the right wavy top.  There is a type where the top bits are taller and rounder.

Then when you have the right top, make sure you have the one where the images in the body is a square, not the one with the large circle in the square body.

There were several images that came up showing much more detail than the ones you posted - one from an old flea-bay auction, one from worthpoint dot com, etc.

The type you have is Ertl F1, though almost no one knows how to catalogue these so you will rarely see it referred to that way.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 12:52:38 pm »
Hi Kevin, and Shawn, this is one of mine which is similar, to compare:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-106239

Regards

Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 02:55:39 pm »
Ave!

Thanks Shawn and Quadrans!

+++ +++ +++

Best,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

All coins are guaranteed for eternity