Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I received my Julia Domna beauty today!  (Read 3217 times)

Offline Steven H

• Praetorian
I received my Julia Domna beauty today!
« on: November 26, 2018, 02:02:39 pm »
I know I'm going to sound like a 5-year-old at Christmas, but I received my Julia Domna silver denarius today from Forum Ancient Coins, and I can't tell you how thrilled I am.

I can't afford this hobby, so just to have an ancient coin is extremely special to me. I've been almost obsessively interested in ancient Roman history for years, and that's what led me to reading about ancient coins in the first place, which in turn led me to Forum Ancient Coins. Regardless of not being able to buy coins, I still love reading about them, looking at the listings, and learning about the history associated with them - fascinating stuff.

For the longest time, my primary interest was mostly in the first century Roman emperors, but looking at coins made me expand my interest into later emperors and their stories, and after seeing so many Julia Domna coins online I read more about her and her family, and she really got my respect, so I decided to look for the best coin of hers that I could afford. Naturally, I found it right here at Forum Ancient Coins, and it's a beauty!

Honestly, the first time I saw the coin I was done. I had never seen another coin portrait of Julia Domna anywhere that looked so believable, so genuine, or so realistic, unlike pretty much every other coin portrait of hers that I'd seen. She was around 43 when this coin was minted, and (refreshingly) she looks like it on this coin, but in a very noble, dignified, and experienced way, and she looks much more like her sister, Julia Maesa, than in the usual coin portraits of her. Finally, an artist depicted her not in a "make her look young" way, but in a "let her shine as she is" way. That probably sounds ridiculous, but I absolutely love this coin!

If you can remember what it felt like when you got your first really nice ancient coin, that's how I feel. Thanks again, Joe!

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: I received my Julia Domna beauty today!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 02:16:23 pm »
A very serious portrait. A Beauty!

Jochen

Offline Aeneas

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 02:26:23 pm »
Dear Steven H

Congratulation on your coin! A true beauty!! My first purchase was also a Domna denarius and I remember exactly how I felt that day. Even with modest means, perhaps with a layaway plan, you could be able to assemble a small collection of the whole family (beginning with her husband Septimius Severus and her two sons Caracalla and Geta). That was exactly how I proceeded and now, almost 9 years later, I have a dedicated collection of silver coins of Caracalla.

Keep on reading an posting your new coins!

David

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 03:05:35 pm »
Congrats sharp coin
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 04:26:21 pm »
I love the subtle toning, very pretty.

- Peter

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 07:16:42 pm »
Thanks. I am glad you like the coin. It truly is a superb Roman portrait.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 10:49:19 pm »
Wow, that is an exceptional portrait on a great coin. Congrats on this superb acquisition.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 09:31:43 pm »
Wonderful example of the type and hopefully not your last severan denarius :)
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline David Fischer

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 06:43:01 pm »
Lovely coin, and one of my favorite Imperial women. It's not a cheap hobby to be sure, but in my opinion the Severans are still a real bargain and somewhat underappreciated as a dynasty. They are an attractive option for the new collector without a ton of cash to burn.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 08:09:44 pm »
Great coin and telails, mostly the portrait 👍

Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity