Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Burial date of the Batasani Hoard (CH 2.65)?  (Read 836 times)

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
Burial date of the Batasani Hoard (CH 2.65)?
« on: November 26, 2018, 03:16:57 am »
If anyone has access to the Coin Hoards II (1976) volume (reference below), I'd be grateful if they could advise of the find date and the burial date for the Batasani Hoard identified in the volume as hoard number 65 (CH 2.65).

If possible I'd also appreciate advice of the number of Susa mint tetradrachms in the hoard struck in the name of either Alexander and/or Philip.

Price records an example of each of Price 3832 and 3840, tetradrachms in the name of Alexander, from this hoard but no other details.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
Re: Burial date of the Batasani Hoard (CH 2.65)?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 12:38:24 pm »
Find date: "1971"
Burial date: "280 BC"
457 Coins found in a "Pot hoard".

Contents:
Philip II Several
Alexander III 362
Philip III 46
Seleucus I 37
Antiochus I 2
Lysimachus 1
Demetrius Poliorcetes 3
Barbarous 6

Disposition: Rimnicu Vilcea 450; Craiova 7.
BMI 1973, 26,29; id. BSNR 1973-5, 49-51.

No mention of the "number of Susa mint tetradrachms" I am afraid.

I hope this helps,

- Walter
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
Re: Burial date of the Batasani Hoard (CH 2.65)?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 02:53:33 pm »
Thank you Walter. This is a most useful summary.

It enables me to complete the the details of this find in a list of hoards containing early Alexandrine coinage from Susa.

Interestingly, the earliest documented find of Susa coinage is the Akcakale Hoard c. 317-316 BC, while it is not represented in the Demanhur Hoard 318 BC that contained examples from every Alexander mint active before 320 BC. This carries implications for the dating of Susa's output. I needed the date of the Batasani Hoard to complete the picture, the early third century BC date and content summary confirmed my suspicions based on my reading of Price.

All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity