Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Septimius Severus denarius from the night shift  (Read 1333 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Septimius Severus denarius from the night shift
« on: November 16, 2018, 03:53:58 pm »
Hi!

There is an odd denarius of Septimius Severus with the same legend on both sides, ie obverse legend - IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG. The reverse seems to portay Liberalitas from RIC 18.  But the die cutter somehow executed the obverse legend once again for the reverse instead of intended LIBERAL AVG COS (RIC 18). The style, appearence and fabric look and feel totally legitimate as for Rome mint  from early reign of Septimius Severus. Any other similar coins are known? Was the legend repeated to make sure the mint was running despite the propaganda message for reverse was not known at that very point of time, or it was just a human error of an intern:)?

ob.  IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG  laur head right
rev.  IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG Liberalitas (?) standing left with count-board and cornucopiae

RIC-

17mm - 2,5g - 7h

Thanks much for your time.

Z

Offline nummis durensis

• Praetorian
    • perinawa
Re: Septimius Severus denarius from the night shift
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 02:26:24 am »
I guess this is a barbarian denarius.

Best regards
Rainer

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 04:42:14 am »
The obverse is well done but I tend to agree with it being unofficial with the poor style of the reverse.

Offline nummis durensis

• Praetorian
    • perinawa
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 05:43:24 am »
The head is not bad, but too bad for an official, I think...  ;)

regards,
Rainer

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 07:03:07 am »
Rainer, Martin, thank you very much for your comments!

I agree there is possibility it is unofficial. You cant expect official mint to deliver such errors.  But errors always used to happen before, now and then.

Obverse looks official. Reverse is worn and distorted, but the font is ok as for this period.

I regret there is no software yet to instantly check my coin for the die matches with all relative coins on internet. Would be interesting to see if the same obverse turns up on other coins of Septimius Severus.  Im sure such application will appear soon. Until then I may look manualy if any obverse die link afloats.

Thanks much for your time!

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 01:39:36 pm »
The style looks OK to me, so I would accept the coin as official, apparently with a striking error of some sort cutting off the back of Liberalitas' head.

My first thought was, maybe a flip strike with the second strike transferring the obv. legend to the reverse, removing all traces of the original legend LIBERAL AVG COS but curiously leaving the rev. type unaltered. But the legend break SEP - SEV is definitely wider on the obv. than on the rev., so this is not two strikes from the same obv. die. Plus the obv. of a flip strike should still show remains of the overstruck rev. type, but none are visible. We would have to postulate that the second strike with the obv. die completely eradicated the original Liberalitas type and legend. Highly unlikely, so certainly not a flip strike.

So I think Timka's explanation is probably correct: a mint engraver erroneously engraved an obverse legend onto a rev. die. This is the first time I can recall seeing such an error, but it is perfectly possible that parallel cases have been published, and I am just unaware of them. One could easily read about such an error in a footnote or appendix, but consider it unofficial or just an unexplained oddity, so quickly forget it!
Curtis Clay

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 02:28:49 pm »
 Curtis, thank you for taking your time on this one!

...I worked in an ad agency for a while. You wont believe how many major typos go on air in various advertisements. Stress, or time pressure/long hours or lack of experience are usually behind errors in creative business. I dont think that our folks enjoyed 'softer' work conditions 2000 years ago)... so anything could happen

All coins are guaranteed for eternity