Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 03, 2015, 12:22:13 am
Search Calendar Login Register  

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Celtic, Barbaric & Tribal Imitative Coins (Moderator: Lee S)  |  Topic: Another Danubian Strymon/Trident? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another Danubian Strymon/Trident?  (Read 15 times)
chrismoss
Legionary

« on: Yesterday at 01:50:02 pm »

I think I've got it figured out, but this example is sufficiently different from all the others I could find, that I wanted to submit it to the wiser ones for an opinion. So, I think I have here yet another example of the Dunubian Celtic imitatives of the Macedonian Strymon/Trident issue SNG Cop 1299. The incorrect legend and trident certainly fit, though the obverse doesn't look very tribal. Perhaps one of the "very worn dies" referred to in the NumisWiki article? Weight is 4.78 g, dimensions 19 x 16 mm, and the die rotation (assuming the trident points up) is about 33 degrees. Sorry, got lazy and just scanned it, so the slightly schyphate shape of the coin makes the rim of the obverse somewhat fuzzy in the image. Appreciate your thoughts.
Arminius
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

carpe diem

« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 02:22:56 pm »

Yes, but i think the dies are not worn but are just flat engraved.

The flan and style looks quite good for these issues compared to my specimen:

regards

May i show u our forest, Varus?

http://www.arminius-numismatics.eu
chrismoss
Legionary

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 02:57:26 pm »

Thanks! Yes, I had no idea it was a tribal issue when I picked it up. Appreciate your input.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Celtic, Barbaric & Tribal Imitative Coins (Moderator: Lee S)  |  Topic: Another Danubian Strymon/Trident? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop