Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My first experience with researching a coin to correct a seller  (Read 883 times)

Offline Steven H

• Praetorian
My first experience with researching a coin to correct a seller
« on: November 13, 2018, 10:28:02 pm »
I saw a coin for sale on ebay, listed as a sestertius of Julia Domna, but it didn't look right to me. Besides the strange obverse legend style (mostly unreadable), the listing said the coin was struck between 141 and 161 AD (Julia Domna was born in 160 AD). Clearly, the description was wrong.

I could only make out some of the obverse legend, but none of it looked like the style of any Julia Domna legend I had seen. I went to Wildwinds and looked at the obverse legend on every single Julia Domna coin they have listed - and there are a lot of them. I knew ahead of time that I wouldn't find this legend or coin as a Julia Domna, but I wanted to be sure before I emailed the seller to share what I found.

Because the only letters in the legend that were clear to me were in the sequence "SCILL", I came back here to Forum and looked for any coins of women with that letter sequence in her name, and sure enough...there it was: Herennia EtruSCILLa, the wife of Trajan Decius. I took that name back to Wildwinds and found the coin with the correct obverse, reverse, and legends.

Without disclosing the seller's name, all of this surprised me because he has almost 4000 feedbacks with a 100% rating. I would expect much more from someone by that point.

To those of you who do this kind of research daily, with serious gusto, my hat is off to you - what a chore this was! Here is the coin in question:

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: My first experience with researching a coin to correct a seller
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 11:03:40 pm »
Good detective work.  The more you do this the easier and quicker it gets (usually). 

Sellers make mistakes, sometimes they just cut and paste without actually checking.

Offline Canaan

• Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=44403
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 03:54:40 pm »
Sometimes we get good deals from these mistakes  :)
My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=44403
Your Numismatics tour guide in Israel

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 04:00:01 pm »
So true!  Better not to say anything! ;D

Offline Steven H

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 04:49:15 pm »
Don't think I didn't look up the correct coin...hahaha! It's not really a keeper, though, but that could have been a fun discussion with the seller (who, for whatever reason, has disregarded all the research and kept his listing as a Julia Domna, and did nothing but take $6 off the original price).

All coins are guaranteed for eternity