Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas!!! Your favorite coin collector must be wishing for an ancient coin!!!! All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas!!! Tell them you want a coin from FORVM for Christmas!!!! Internet challenged? We are happy to take your order over the phone 252-646-1958.

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage  |  Topic: Do you wax ? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you wax ?  (Read 251 times)
Dominic T
Consul

« on: November 13, 2018, 05:36:49 pm »

Hello. I would like to take the pulse of different members about waxing our coins. I’m ambivalent on the question if I should proceed with my bronzes or not. Just not sure I really like the « wet look » and also wondering if I must do it for the conservation of these ancient treasures.  So what do you think, specially you, experienced collectors ? Thanks for your precious opinion.
DT
Steve P
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 11:04:21 pm »

Nope ... and I'm mad at the few coins that I've purchased that have been waxed (I'm not a fan of that fake look)

=> I like my coins the same way that I like my women woman => honest, beautiful and with zero makeup

Wink

otlichnik
Tribunus Plebis 2016
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 04:19:57 pm »

I wax some bronze coins.  Only with Renn wax.

Sometimes it is to preserve poor patinas/surfaces.  Sometimes for the look.  It can also help keep out moisture - so as long as there is not already an issue within the coin metal itself it can help with preservation.

I find that Renn wax does not usually make coins look too shiny.  Not if used sparingly. 

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)
n.igma
Caesar

Life is bigger than a Tweet.

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 05:39:05 pm »

Plenty of waxing discussion here ... http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=61212.0

including the following gem ...

All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.
Dominic T
Consul

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 07:43:21 pm »

Thanks for the link....🤣
DT
Lee S
Comitia Curiata
Conservator
Caesar

γεια μας !!!

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 04:09:01 pm »

I wax almost all my bronzes... I find it brings out detail, keeps any risk of damage from moisture at bay, and to be honest, I just like the look...
   Should any future custodians of my coins disagree, a wipe with nail varnish remover on a tissue, and it's gone... No harm done...
Bill W4
Consul

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 05:00:01 pm »

I do too with my bronzes after drying.  I also like the look and anyone after me can wipe it off no troubles.

I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!
Meepzorp
Caesar

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 04:11:06 pm »

Hi folks,

I use Renaissance wax on coins that I previously treated for bronze disease. But that is the only situation I have used it in the past. Regarding 98-99% of my bronze coins, I leave them alone.

Meepzorp

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage  |  Topic: Do you wax ? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop