Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING UNTIL 3 SEPTEMBER Layaway and reserve are not available during the sale. Shop now and save! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING UNTIL 3 SEPTEMBER Shop now and save! Please support Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage  |  Topic: Do you wax ? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you wax ?  (Read 1057 times)
Dominic T
Consul

« on: November 13, 2018, 05:36:49 pm »

Hello. I would like to take the pulse of different members about waxing our coins. I’m ambivalent on the question if I should proceed with my bronzes or not. Just not sure I really like the « wet look » and also wondering if I must do it for the conservation of these ancient treasures.  So what do you think, specially you, experienced collectors ? Thanks for your precious opinion.
DT
Steve P
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 11:04:21 pm »

Nope ... and I'm mad at the few coins that I've purchased that have been waxed (I'm not a fan of that fake look)

=> I like my coins the same way that I like my women woman => honest, beautiful and with zero makeup

Wink

otlichnik
Tribunus Plebis 2016
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 04:19:57 pm »

I wax some bronze coins.  Only with Renn wax.

Sometimes it is to preserve poor patinas/surfaces.  Sometimes for the look.  It can also help keep out moisture - so as long as there is not already an issue within the coin metal itself it can help with preservation.

I find that Renn wax does not usually make coins look too shiny.  Not if used sparingly. 

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)
n.igma
Caesar

Life is bigger than a Tweet.

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 05:39:05 pm »

Plenty of waxing discussion here ... http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=61212.0

including the following gem ...

All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.
Dominic T
Consul

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 07:43:21 pm »

Thanks for the link....🤣
DT
Lee S
Comitia Curiata
Conservator
Caesar

γεια μας !!!

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 04:09:01 pm »

I wax almost all my bronzes... I find it brings out detail, keeps any risk of damage from moisture at bay, and to be honest, I just like the look...
   Should any future custodians of my coins disagree, a wipe with nail varnish remover on a tissue, and it's gone... No harm done...
Bill W4
Consul

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 05:00:01 pm »

I do too with my bronzes after drying.  I also like the look and anyone after me can wipe it off no troubles.

I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!
Meepzorp
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 04:11:06 pm »

Hi folks,

I use Renaissance wax on coins that I previously treated for bronze disease. But that is the only situation I have used it in the past. Regarding 98-99% of my bronze coins, I leave them alone.

Meepzorp

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage  |  Topic: Do you wax ? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop