Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Question about Celtic coin  (Read 1968 times)

Offline Nathan P

• Praetorian
Question about Celtic coin
« on: November 11, 2018, 07:41:56 pm »
So here is my coin:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=6615&pos=11

I want to draw your attention to the edge breaks at 8:00 and 12:00 on the obverse and 9:00 on the reverse. Also on the reverse note the roughed up spot at about 12:30.

I've attached an image of a coin currently available for sale which is not my coin. Although not as pronounced, the coin has the exact same edge breaks and even roughed up spot on the reverse. How can this be? Pretty much every coin like this on acsearch (search "celtic 1095") has the exact same edge breaks/roughness (mine should be the top result 7/29/18 auction) . Not sure what to make of this. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

Offline Nathan P

• Praetorian
Re: Question about Celtic coin
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 02:23:07 pm »
This coin type was discussed earlier here.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=116852.0

Does anyone have any additional thoughts on these coins? Thanks...

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 03:12:19 pm »
Dear Nathan & Board,

I am very sorry to inform you, but I also share your grave concerns with the two coins under direct discussion and some of the others you pointed to on ACSearch.  Not only are the coins' designs die-identical and soft looking (at least in regards to your coin), the flan cracks in the exact same locations, and the shape of the flans the same, but there also appear to be real casting bubbles on the reverse of your piece, including one touching the edge at ~3:00.  

Sorry, but I think you are unfortunately correct: your coin is a cast and so are the others, unless one of them is the "mother coin."

Notice, by the way, how all of these coins are suddenly entering the market now.  Another bad sign, when everything else is considered.

Sincerely,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Nathan P

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 03:29:51 pm »
Thanks for the reply, and I fear you may be right (fortunately I can return the coin for a refund). Should I make a fake coin report or wait for anyone else to weigh in? Joe?

Andrew M5

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 02:31:35 pm »
FAKE

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 08:30:28 am »
Thanks for the reply, and I fear you may be right (fortunately I can return the coin for a refund). Should I make a fake coin report or wait for anyone else to weigh in? Joe?

If you think you should make a fake coin report, make one. I cannot give an opinion every time. I periodically review reports and comments and delete reports I think were submitted in error.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity