Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Princeton Workshop on Sasanian Coins & History  (Read 3337 times)

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Princeton Workshop on Sasanian Coins & History
« on: October 23, 2018, 09:56:58 am »
A workshop on Sasanian coins will be held at Princeton University on Saturday, November 3. Here is the link:
https://www.princeton.edu/iran/events/Nov-3-Sasanian-poster.pdf

This is far from an area of collecting in which I have any knowledge or experience, but the workshop is close to home and on a day that I can fit it into my schedule. I have never attended a high-level workshop and expect that it will be fascinating. I'll be there! I was just wondering whether any other members of FORVM intend to be present; if so, it would be nice to meet someone face-to-face and say hello.

Stkp

Offline JBF

• Caesar
Re: Princeton Workshop on Sasanian Coins & History
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 03:04:08 pm »
Way too far out of my neck of the woods, but I do hope you give us a report about Sassanian coins and their significance.  Also, let us know if after such a seminar do you feel confident and competent to deal with a new area?  Will your collecting interests change, expand because of this?  Curious about how it goes.  Chronologically and geographically when and where are the Sassanians?  Where do the Sassanians fit into the history of the area?  These of course are just questions that you might ask yourself, before you go in. so you can refine and correct your perceptions when you get there.  Exciting!

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 05:16:30 pm »
Too bad I no longer live in NJ, as this is very much an area of interest to me. Some big names will be present, and Robert Schaaf has a very well known collection. Nickolaus Schindel authored an entire Sylloge Nummorum Sasanidarum volume dedicated to the Schaaf collection.

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 01:25:10 pm »
I am there now.  Good to meet you.  Anyone else attending?

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 10:56:33 am »
I am there now.  Good to meet you.  Anyone else attending?

How was the workshop?

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 12:09:06 am »
Ed: It was nice talking to you there. Stay in touch.

Tracy: The conference was called to recognize Princeton's acquisition of the Robert Schaaf collection, part of which was on display. Schaaf spoke, as did Nickolaus Schindel.

JBF: I definitely don't feel confident enough to deal with a new area of numismatics, but nevertheless have ordered my first coin. I will post it once I have it in hand.

All: Ed can confirm that it was a fascinating conference and a very nice way to spend a Saturday.

Stkp

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 12:33:32 pm »
After attending the conference, I was inspired to acquire the 32 mm. coin attached below. It was sold as an issue by the Hunnic Tribes, imitating a Sasanian coin. My initial impression was that the coin is actually a Sasanian drachm issued by Khusro II. I've been struggling to identify the mint and year (my best guess is WH mint, 13th regnal year). Now, my thinking is that stylistically, perhaps it is a Hephthalite issue after all. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. This is a new area of coinage for me and I fear that it is beyond my ability to attribute correctly on my own. Stkp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity