Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Antioch Bronze Commem (?) Zeus head/seated Zeus of 20BC opinions appreciated.  (Read 1469 times)

Offline coldavo

• Consul
Hi All,

I have a head of Zeus/seated Zeus bronze on which I would like an opinion – but first some information:

E T Newell, in his article “The Pre-Imperial Coinage of Roman Antioch (1919)”, identifies a Tetradrachm of Augustus dated 20BC. The style of the coin is head of Augustus/seated Zeus and he places it between the posthumous issue of Philip dated 21BC and other similar issues of Philip dated after 20BC (one dated 17BC). This places the Augustus Tetradrachm in between posthumous issues of Philip and Newell suggests that the new design was a one year “commemorative” issued for the visit of Augustus to Antioch in that year and that after his departure the old Seleucid type was once more revived. Full information relating to the exact method of dating the Tetradrachm of 20BC is in the link below.

However Butcher and Ponting, in their article “The Silver Coinage of Roman Syria under the Julio-Claudian Emperors (2009)”, specifies that the first Antioch Tetradrachm to bear the portrait of Augustus (seated Zeus reverse) was dated to 5BC. They make no mention of the Augustan portrait coin of 20BC, in fact, such a coin appears to have been unknown to them.

Now back to my original request: the photos below are of two 'head of Zeus/seated Zeus' bronzes of Antioch which are year 30 (lambda) and date to 20BC. As far as I know, these are unique in this series of bronzes in that the date is shown in the left field and not, as all others are, in the exergue. My question is whether this “one off” design is also a special issue for the visit of Augustus.

I would appreciate your opinions.  

All the best,
Col

Links:
 https://www.jstor.org/stable/42663760?seq=1&loggedin=true#page_scan_tab_contents
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/228627301_The_Silver_Coinage_of_Roman_Syria_Under_the_Julio-Claudian_Emperors

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...

McAlee 72. He says having 3 coins of this type in his collection.
(5.96 g, 8.20 g & 7.10 g).

Pekka K

Offline coldavo

• Consul
Hi Pekka K,

Thank you for the very prompt reply and information. I'll record it as McAlee 72.

I do not expect it to be rare but am hoping for further opinions re the fact that since the Tetradrachm is a "one off" design and this coin also appears to be "one off" (different date placement) - whether or not it also could be designed in this manner as a "commemorative" of the visit of Augustus - as Newell suggests the Tetradrachm to be.

All the best,
Col

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
There is no way we could ever verify or disprove your suggestion.  There is just no evidence.  In any event, such a minor variation would seem to be a very minor honor, almost an insult, if it were to commemorate in someway the visit of the master of the Mediterranean world!  I would image it is much more likely that it was an simple trial of a new arrangement at the mint, found not pleasing and discontinued.  The date just happened to agree with Augustus' visit.  But I quickly admit there is no more proof of my suggestion than of yours. 

Offline coldavo

• Consul

Hi djmacdo,

You are correct. There probably is no way of tying up the minor "one-off" change on the bronze coin with the major "one-off" difference of the silver. Probably just an interesting coincidental difference.

I was quite interested in the identification by Newell some 99 years back of the "one-off" tetradrachm and his suggestion re it being minted as a commemorative coin and, apparently, this information being lost for all this time.

I have to admit that I was hoping that someone would find a similar "forgotten" reference to the bronze coin. It remains as an interesting "Head of Zeus/seated Zeus" bronze in my collection.

All the best,
Col

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Interesting and rare, indeed! 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity