Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Webmasters (Moderator: Sorin Teodor)  |  Topic: FTP freeware recommendation? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: FTP freeware recommendation?  (Read 97 times)
dougsmit
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« on: November 06, 2018, 11:54:45 am »

When Forvm changed their security requirements for FTP uploads, I lost the ability to upload to my Forvm website since the Core FTP program I was using did not meet the new requirements.  I decided at that time that I was not up to learning new software and it would be easier just to walk away from the site I had been maintaining for twenty years.  Now I am regretting the decision as I discover errors on pages that I would like to correct but cannot.  Every so often I get the urge to write a new page but have used this software issue as an excuse not to do anything. 
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/
Can anyone recommend a simple FTP freeware program that will allow access to my Forvm website?  I am not interested in paying big money for complicated programs with all the bells and whistles but just want to be able to upload my plain HTML pages to the space so kindly provided by Joe.  I know there are other providers that I could use that have less stringent requirements but I have moved my pages three times since starting in 1997 (Geocities - Yahoo - Ancients.info - Forvm) and am not interested in doing that again now that there are so many online resources that make my dinosaur level pages less than they once were.  If there is no program that will do what I am wishing, I would be interested in hearing any other solution to this that I might not have considered.  I am not ready to learn complicated new programs and do not understand the requirements that have locked me out.  Anyone willing to discuss this here or by private message will be most appreciated.

Akropolis
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 01:39:30 pm »

I use FTP Freeware Filezilla for uploading changes to my web site on 1&1 hosting service.
You would have to check with Joe if it is compatible with Forum and codes and password to do so.
I use Frontpage 2003 to create and maintain my web site.
PeteB

PeterD
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

omnium curiositatum explorator

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 04:12:45 pm »

I have always used Filezilla and it works a treat under the new regime. In any case, it is recommended by Sorin.

Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context http://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia
dougsmit
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 05:28:07 pm »

Thank you both.

Meepzorp
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 11:35:33 pm »

Hi doug,

I also use Filezilla. It's free and it works. It is compatible with Forum.

Today, I just started working on my website again after 13 months of inactivity.

Meepzorp

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Webmasters (Moderator: Sorin Teodor)  |  Topic: FTP freeware recommendation? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop