Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: English coin?  (Read 1793 times)

Greggan G

English coin?
« on: May 26, 2019, 06:38:42 am »
Hi folks!
New to this forum in search of trying to identify this coin, you guys know which regent this coin is from?

I'm thinking English, perhaps Henry II looking at the cross... any pointers?

Cheers
//Greg

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: English coin?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 11:44:09 pm »
I can't put a definite id on it, but I'm leaning more towards Italian/Venetian.  French is a distant third, since I don't see a fleur de lis on it.

I'm discounting it being English since I can't make out a definite bust on the obverse, and essentially all English monarchs since the 800s (+/-) or so placed a representative bust on their coins.

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 05:47:22 am »
Certainly not English. It reminds me of a Carolingian denier. If so - and it's a very big if - one side would be a monogram surrounded by the king's name and the other a cross surrounded by the mint name.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 09:28:57 am »
..... one side would be a monogram surrounded by the king's name and the other a cross surrounded by the mint name.

It can also be the other way round, as on the coin below, cross surrounded by the king's name and monogram surrounded by the mint name.  ;)

Alex

Offline Edessa

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 11:52:09 am »
I believe it is definitely a Denier Tournois type, with the tower of the castle oriented about 10 o'clock in the left picture. Quite of bit of "ghosting" from the cross on the obverse disfigures much of the detail of the reverse (the castle side). A device of three lines appears below the castle.

If I am correct this would be Frankish Greece, Achaea, John of Gravina (1318-1333 AD). Legends are blurry, but if I had to guess I would say that it is Coins of the Crusader States (CCS) 55 or 56.  Both of these issues have an ornate "M" below the castle. It's just possible that on your example the ghosting disfigures the top of the "M", making it appear as three vertical lines. CCS 55 has pellets on either side of the castle, CCS 56 has annulets on either side of the castle. I would say that yours appears to be annulets, making it CCS 56.

Just skimming through Roberts "The Silver Coins of Medieval France, 476-1610 AD) for issues of Royal France and Malloy/Preston/Seltman "Coins of the Crusader States, 1098-1291 AD), I do not see any Denier Tournois issues that better match the general outline of the legend.  I may certainly be missing something.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5198991

Eugene
Eugene

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 10:59:36 am »
Hi folks,

I agree with Edessa.

As soon as I looked at it, that is what I thought of.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity