Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Seals and Tesserae (Moderators: Gert, Ardatirion)  |  Topic: Roman lead seal ID 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Roman lead seal ID  (Read 210 times)
Predrag R
Legionary

« on: November 02, 2018, 08:48:16 am »

I'm trying to identify this lead seal. I think the inscription on the left side of the portrait reads VALEN; I can also see another N in front of the face (possibly TIN). Also, if a lead seal bears an emperor's portrait/name, what are the implications? Was it used for some official shipment?

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thank you all in advance!
djmacdo
Tribunus Plebis 2017
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

I love this forum!

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 01:45:22 pm »

The style is so far off original seals from this era I can only think it is a fake.
Predrag R
Legionary

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 01:54:23 pm »

Could it be an ancient fake? I've looked the object under the microscope, and it does show mineral deposition on the surface.
Predrag R
Legionary

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 02:37:51 pm »

Furthermore, patina does look genuine.
djmacdo
Tribunus Plebis 2017
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

I love this forum!

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 12:16:39 pm »

I still cannot believe that anything from the early fourth century on a royal seal could be nearly that crude!
stultus
Procurator Monetae
Consul

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 01:45:07 pm »

I also think it is a fake. The style of the head, the laurel wreath, the lettering, the sharp edge of the perfectly circular field, the sharp edge of the sealing around the stamp suggest it is a modern fake.
Gert
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 03:58:35 am »

I agree this is most likely a fake.
Regards
Gert

Predrag R
Legionary

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 07:05:50 am »

Thank you all for looking at this!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Seals and Tesserae (Moderators: Gert, Ardatirion)  |  Topic: Roman lead seal ID « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop