Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman lead seal ID  (Read 1145 times)

Predrag R

Roman lead seal ID
« on: November 02, 2018, 10:48:16 am »
I'm trying to identify this lead seal. I think the inscription on the left side of the portrait reads VALEN; I can also see another N in front of the face (possibly TIN). Also, if a lead seal bears an emperor's portrait/name, what are the implications? Was it used for some official shipment?

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thank you all in advance!

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Roman lead seal ID
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 03:45:22 pm »
The style is so far off original seals from this era I can only think it is a fake.

Predrag R

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 03:54:23 pm »
Could it be an ancient fake? I've looked the object under the microscope, and it does show mineral deposition on the surface.

Predrag R

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 04:37:51 pm »
Furthermore, patina does look genuine.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 02:16:39 pm »
I still cannot believe that anything from the early fourth century on a royal seal could be nearly that crude!

Offline stultus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Consul
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 03:45:07 pm »
I also think it is a fake. The style of the head, the laurel wreath, the lettering, the sharp edge of the perfectly circular field, the sharp edge of the sealing around the stamp suggest it is a modern fake.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 05:58:35 am »
I agree this is most likely a fake.
Regards
Gert

Predrag R