Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is this a Campgate with Bronze Disease  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
Is this a Campgate with Bronze Disease
« on: December 14, 2018, 02:51:03 pm »
Just got a new uncleaned group of coins and while I was wasting time at work I was looking through them excitedly.

I noticed this Campgate with a Green covering.  Does this look like Bronze Disease?  I havent been able to pick at it with a tooth pick to try that.   If it is Bronze disease does it look fairly advanced.

Thanks for your help.

Blayne

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
Re: Is this a Campgate with Bronze Disease
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 04:46:43 pm »
To me it doesn't appear to be bronze disease.  With patience it may clean up well.  Good luck.
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 05:12:48 pm »
Awesome thanks.  I have it at home now just soaking in DW.  Will brush it later tonight after the wife's Christmas Party.  I have a soft spot right now for the Camp Gates so was hating the thoughts of that one having Bronze Disease.   

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 09:27:53 am »
I am not so sure.  There are parts that are just dirt over the bronze.  There are parts that are hard green encrustations - malachite.  But there are some very light green spots that might be bd.

I would work gently with bamboo skewers to remove the dirt and see how hard the green bits are.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity