Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion  |  Topic: Cleaning Advice/questions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cleaning Advice/questions  (Read 731 times)
Triston S
Auxiliary

« on: October 22, 2018, 03:21:00 pm »

Hey all, hope this is the right section (new to the forum), I've recently started cleaning dirty coins using the distilled water/toothbrush method. A coin that I just finished it's first soak and light scrubbing is showing lots of light orange splotches and I'm afraid I've gone through the patina. Just wanted to ask the next course of action. Apologies the picture isn't that great.
Dominic T
Consul

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 04:03:31 pm »

Hi Triston. Don’t be too hard on you. You can not deteriorate a coin only using distilled water and a soft toothbrush. The damage on it ( the bare metal spots ) were previous to your cleaning, hidden under layers of dirt. For myself, I found many good advices on the uncleaned coins section of the discussion board. Many hours of reading and fun for you !
DT
Triston S
Auxiliary

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 05:00:12 pm »

Thanks for the help! So I guess the best option would be to leave it be?  I think it's identifiable in its current stage.
otlichnik
Tribunus Plebis 2016
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 07:22:09 am »

See if there is any dirt left on it.  If so you can try to work at it gently with a toothpick while dry.  But anything tougher might risk flaking off more metal.

But first, Dominic's advice is excellent.  Read as much of the cleaning thread as you can.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion  |  Topic: Cleaning Advice/questions « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop