Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New Tiberius II monogram type on Sear 459  (Read 994 times)

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
New Tiberius II monogram type on Sear 459
« on: October 28, 2018, 08:09:21 am »
Typically, these antiohian pentanummmi bear a monogram type 18 (according to the well-known plate on page 32 in Seaby Sear). But, in this case, it is, without a doubt, coin bear monogram of type 42. And it reads like TIBEPIOY. In MIBEC, only the type with monogram 18 is also marked. The originality of the coin raises no questions. Does anyone know a similar new type, or is this coin the first of its kind?

Offline Quant.Geek

• Consul
Re: New Tiberius II monogram type on Sear 459
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 12:24:18 pm »
That is pretty sweet.  Can you take better pictures so that it can be archived for further study (without fingers  ;D).  Here is one from Justin II that has a new monogram:

Byzantine Empire: Justin II (565-578) Æ Nummus, Antioch? (Sear 387; DOC 149; MIBE 66)

Obv: Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust of Justin II right
Rev: Monogram within circular border

A seemingly unrecorded monogram for the issue, thus perhaps imitative. Additionally, the official issue does not have the linear border on the reverse.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 05:32:18 pm »
Nice finds both of them. I assume, Quant.Geek that you noticed the rev. is upside down. Interestingly, this monogram adds the T, making it more 'correct' than the official type, even though it might be imitative.
Regards
GErt

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 06:35:50 am »
Justin's I nummi is an interesting thing, and occasionally occurs. Here it is in MIB:

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 06:42:00 am »
About requests for a "no hands" photo. I place two below, on a white and black background. Maybe someone will come in handy?

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 03:00:32 pm »
Even though I cannot add any knowledge regarding the coin  I think it is an attractive and interesting coin, Byzantofil. Thank You for sharing.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity