Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: seals for identification?  (Read 1108 times)

Offline NIKSOL

• Consul
seals for identification?
« on: October 27, 2018, 02:58:32 pm »
lead 14gram 2,8cm

Offline NIKSOL

• Consul
Re: seals for identification?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 02:57:25 am »
some idea ...

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 05:56:50 am »
You got the obv. and rev. switched. The obv. invokes the Mother of God - "Servant of the Theotokos" (DOV/LOV TH[C]/THEOTO/KOV.

The rev. has the owner's name in a monogram. You got it upside down.* Why don't you (or anybody else) see for yourself if you make it out. It ends with the genitive -OV to indicate it is the seal "of ...." (-ou, not nominative -os). There are not too many letters and the name is well known.

Regards
Gert

* If you realise that 99% of Byzantine seals have a die axis of 12.00 it is relatively easy to find the correct orientation of monograms when you have an inscription.

Offline NIKSOL

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 03:02:47 am »
thank you my friend for the info! are valuable !!! +++

Offline NIKSOL

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 03:06:11 am »
thank you my friend for the info! are valuable !!! +++
*to point out that the letters are Greek and not Latin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity