Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: seals for identification?  (Read 1122 times)

Offline NIKSOL

• Consul
seals for identification?
« on: October 27, 2018, 02:58:32 pm »
lead 14gram 2,8cm

Offline NIKSOL

• Consul
Re: seals for identification?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 02:57:25 am »
some idea ...

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 05:56:50 am »
You got the obv. and rev. switched. The obv. invokes the Mother of God - "Servant of the Theotokos" (DOV/LOV TH[C]/THEOTO/KOV.

The rev. has the owner's name in a monogram. You got it upside down.* Why don't you (or anybody else) see for yourself if you make it out. It ends with the genitive -OV to indicate it is the seal "of ...." (-ou, not nominative -os). There are not too many letters and the name is well known.

Regards
Gert

* If you realise that 99% of Byzantine seals have a die axis of 12.00 it is relatively easy to find the correct orientation of monograms when you have an inscription.

Offline NIKSOL

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 03:02:47 am »
thank you my friend for the info! are valuable !!! +++

Offline NIKSOL

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 03:06:11 am »
thank you my friend for the info! are valuable !!! +++
*to point out that the letters are Greek and not Latin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity