Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: British Museum Roman Republic ... Grueber .... score!  (Read 1438 times)

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
British Museum Roman Republic ... Grueber .... score!
« on: October 24, 2018, 08:51:27 pm »
Those of you of a certain age (which is probably pretty much all of you) will understand when I say "I only read it for the ...  footnotes."

Newly arrived, all three volumes, 1970 reprint, from a library that had few crusty numismatists, and those few had clean fingers.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: British Museum Roman Republic ... Grueber .... score!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 10:46:22 pm »
Congratulations!  The footnotes (more like fine-print articles, really) remain insightful for many series, while dating and geographic arrangement is largely superceded.  Still one of the first places I look when researching a new coin.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 07:09:06 am »
A hard copy is nice, but it is online here...

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/NumisWiki/view.asp?key=BMCRR
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 11:08:16 am »
I remember eagerly ordering this reprint when it first appeared in 1970. The price seemed very cheap; I think it was only £5 for this three-volume standard work!
Curtis Clay

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 04:31:42 pm »
A hard copy is nice, but it is online here...

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/NumisWiki/view.asp?key=BMCRR

Yes, this is an electronic version of the 1910 original which is now out of copyright and free to reproduce. There were minor changes in the 1970, mostly deletion of fakes, so the BM has copyright over the 1970 but not over the 1910.

I'm a fan of paying for books on paper. They are so much more accessible, and allow you to stumble on related information and not just the specific thing you are seeking. Also, am old fashioned.

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 11:18:20 am »
Quote: "They are so much more accessible, and allow you to stumble on related information and not just the specific thing you are seeking."

Exactly.

Quote: "Also, am old fashioned."

That too.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 01:48:36 pm »
I find the paper copies much easier to use, but I suspect the younger generation will not agree.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 02:04:13 pm »
I also belong to the older generation, but I definitely like newer electronic solutions, since it's much easier to take us on a laptop or tablet than our library.

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 07:03:28 pm »
I like to have both PDFs and hard copy where available.  It's great that Forum hosts so many links.  I live in Manhattan and so even shelf space is valuable.

PDFs let you carry a gigantic library in your pocket and to obtain the rare and expensive at low cost.  Nothing like being in an airport to help force one to read the details closely.

Hardcopy is more satisfying (unless a smoker owned it) and often quicker to use.  PDFs that are just scans, as most out of print versions are, typically are not scanned at sufficient resolution to enable the plates or other graphics to be zoomed.   A good original plate can be used with a magnifying glass but pdfs cannot.

Some of the commercial apps like Kindle or Nook can gandle some imported pdfs reasonably smoothly, but some versions defy easy use.

I am still working on a good system to keep pdfs organized.

Paul 

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 01:57:57 pm »
There is also the question of budget. Buying paper copies could be very expensive for a new collector. For example, I downloaded lately a collection of 150 books, maps and ressources about roman coins for less than 20 dollars. All these references were long out of print and scanned by various organization around the globe. I would’nt be able to afford hardcopies of them.
DT

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 10:58:17 pm »
Budget is certainly one of the important  criteria.  Some sources,  of which BMCRR is a good example,  have substantial amounts of useful information, yet lack the benefits of more recent research  or even more dynamic  graphics. A pristine copy of the original or reprint would be the same as missing out on a nice coin.  So most books could be deemed a risk or gamble or at least a lost discount.
   I was mindful of the graphics issue today, as I was able to identify a coin using Andrew McCabe's site even though other sites have more sophisticated search engines. (Thanks, Andrew!)  His photos are just a lot better than many words, and his words are often more contextually significant. (And, his book reviews are extremely insightful.)
  Libraries are a good source if they have not "deaccessioned" their coin books (or had them stolen).  Many collectors do not  have access to good academic libraries.  Many dealers offer access to their libraries,  or are donors to library resources such as ANS, or of course nearly uniquely, Forum actually generously hosts a virtual library.
  The consumer in me says that a seller who neither hosts nor supplies nor supports a library and does not seem to care about information sharing  perhaps does not warrant my patronage.
   So, thanks, Forum!

Paul 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity