Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Identification Help - Unusual Medallion Like Eastern Ancient Type  (Read 1380 times)

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Update - 04 SEP 2020

Alas, none of the experts here have replied on this unusual item but at last its identity has come to light. Sure enough, it is modeled after a sort of 'Parthian-like' artistry but it is actually an Armenian medal commemorating King Argashti I of Urartu, 786 - 764 BC, which precedes the time when coinage actually is thought to have begun. This Armenian king would have ruled over 400 years before Alexander the Great. In any case, a nearly identical specimen, a little less sharp, appeared in a recent online auction by a major auction company and they cataloged it so I'm taking their word for its identification. The auction was a few weeks ago. Been wondering what this big (55+ mm, 90+ grams) bronze medal was and now there's at least some helpful information about it.

With that information I was able to find a little more:

1968 Soviet Armenian (Soviet Russian/USSR) jubilee (medal) "dedicated to the 2750th Anniversary of one of the world's most ancient capitals, Yerevan (Erebuni- Yerevan). Argishti I (Armenian: Արգիշտի), was the sixth known king of Urartu, reigning from 786 BC to 764 BC. He founded the citadel of Erebuni in 782 BC, which is the present capital of Armenia, Yerevan."

At last, mystery pretty much solved.

DW

OK - begging the indulgence of the moderators here.  Attached here are images of a large bronze medallion that appears to be modeled after imagery reminiscent of Parthian or similar artistic themes on ancient coins.  This is definitely not ancient but artistically derivative of the ancient imagery with a chariot carrying 'the king' and drawn by two decorated horses on one side and crowned, curly-bearded 'king' with stylized feathered helmet on the other.  Symbols might be readable by someone here or the medallion's origin might be known or recognized.  It's 55mm diameter and weighs nearly about 90 grams, bronze.  Nice object but a bit of a mystery.

Pics are shot with cell phone but clearly show all the design elements and 'symbols'.

Thanks in advance for any help identifying who might have struck this medallion.  

PtolemAE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity