Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New to hobby and looking for advise  (Read 2298 times)

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
New to hobby and looking for advise
« on: October 10, 2018, 07:55:45 pm »
I have some coins that I have purchased off Ebay several years ago.  Basically so far I have soaked them in Olive Oil and also soaked them in distilled water.  I have started brushing them though they were  basically left in the oil for that time. 

I do have some coins that show promise as well as  several more that basically are not showing anything distinguishable at this time.  Just wondering what you guys think my next steps are.  I have a Microscope on order as well as some dental picks which is what I was planning on using next to see these coins up close.   I was going to upload some photos of the coins but I havent posted enough yet to get the ability.

Thanks,

Blayne

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: New to hobby and looking for advise
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 10:39:27 pm »
We need to see them to offer advice.  I think you need 3 posts in order to upload photos.  Welcome to Forum!

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 02:41:54 pm »
Thanks.  I will try to upload some of them here.  I now have the ability to add the pictures.  These are a blend of several coins, as sometimes the opposite side is not showing anything yet.  I am waiting for my Microscope to hopefully get some better images.

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 07:31:16 pm »
I have been working on a back side of a coin that really  I could not see anything .  It has been soaked in DW and Olive Oil and used a tooth brush on it.  I have just started using some dental tools to take off the mud that I could see that hadnt been removed by the soaking.  Howvere I wonder am I going to far.  I have tried just the slight shaving method and have removed some but when I started to see metal coming through  i paniced.  I thought I better find out if I am going to hard or this is ultimately what I am trying for.

Thanks for the help .

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 08:08:38 pm »
bamboo sliver. hard but not necessarily hard enough to scratch the coin (hopefully).

If you get flips for your coins, make sure that they are not PVC flips.  Joe has good flips.

some people dealing with nicer coins with crud on them will use electrolysis.  I believe that will take off the patina too.  But here I am talking about nicer coins (expensive) which are underpriced because they have got some hard crud on them (deposits), which if cleaned off and re-toned right can make a inexpensive coin into a more desirable, more expensive one.  But, you have to know what your doing if you are going to do that, (and I don't).

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 09:02:05 pm »
Sadly very often when we begin to clean coins we have to go to far.....to know how not going to far....I think it’s a mistake we all did, but it’s part of the learning process.
DT

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 06:33:09 pm »
It is very worth the time to read through the threads in this cleaning section.  Though it may seem daunting at first several hours reading here will give you many good tips and bits of advice.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline B-Chicago

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 06:37:39 pm »
I have avoided olive oil for many years and prefer soaking them in distilled water for a month or so then changing them out and scrubbing them with a toothbrush that has been cut down to make the bristles stronger

make sure to clean the containers well when they get grody - I use vinegar and rinse thoroughly

I often boil them in baking soda and water , scrub after

sometimes I let them soak in dish soap and water for a little while

it looks like your coins are practice coins and I wouldnt expect much

I have had great success buying coins that need sprucing up as the truly uncleaned coin market is pretty hard to achieve, most are sorted, many are re dirtied

good luck!!!

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 07:37:29 pm »
Thank you for the advise.

When you say boil in baking soda and water, do you mean the coins or the containers?

I am not expecting alot from these, hoping to get some practise cleaning, and then trying to attribute them.   Been trying alot of different methods over the past couple days.  seeing what works and doesn't.  Also been playing with lighting alot too as it seems like the camera brings out more details at times then the naked eye.

Offline B-Chicago

• Praetorian
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 03:21:23 pm »
water in metal pot with 2-3 tablespoons of baking soda - bring to a boil - add coin(s) for about ten minutes. turn off heat and let them cool down before removing and dont use metal spoon or tools to remove from water - I use a beat up wooden spoon

scrub with toothrbrush and dish soap

I do that about every six months on some coins

its just one of the many different ways I clean ancient coins

it is generally not harsh but theres always an exception
'
patience is the best thing I can suggest - dont be in a hurry, thats where mistakes begin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity