Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cleaning Advice/questions  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Triston S

• Auxiliary
Cleaning Advice/questions
« on: October 22, 2018, 05:21:00 pm »
Hey all, hope this is the right section (new to the forum), I've recently started cleaning dirty coins using the distilled water/toothbrush method. A coin that I just finished it's first soak and light scrubbing is showing lots of light orange splotches and I'm afraid I've gone through the patina. Just wanted to ask the next course of action. Apologies the picture isn't that great.

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
Re: Cleaning Advice/questions
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 06:03:31 pm »
Hi Triston. Don’t be too hard on you. You can not deteriorate a coin only using distilled water and a soft toothbrush. The damage on it ( the bare metal spots ) were previous to your cleaning, hidden under layers of dirt. For myself, I found many good advices on the uncleaned coins section of the discussion board. Many hours of reading and fun for you !
DT

Offline Triston S

• Auxiliary
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 07:00:12 pm »
Thanks for the help! So I guess the best option would be to leave it be?  I think it's identifiable in its current stage.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 09:22:09 am »
See if there is any dirt left on it.  If so you can try to work at it gently with a toothpick while dry.  But anything tougher might risk flaking off more metal.

But first, Dominic's advice is excellent.  Read as much of the cleaning thread as you can.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity