Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Perfume, C. 4th Century C.E.?  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Robby R

• Praetorian
Roman Perfume, C. 4th Century C.E.?
« on: January 29, 2019, 07:29:14 pm »
From what I can tell off of Yale university's catalog, this is probably 4th- 5th-century C.E. Earlier ones usually had more dainty strings of glass lightly and tastefully applied to accentuate a vessel, but later on the popular style was to, in some cases, obscure the vessel with strings of glass: and, indeed, the strings of glass on this vessel do take away from the shape.

It was probably a perfume bottle, Roman in origin. The bottle was blown into a mould and finished off while being held by a punty rod. Thus, we have a sharp pontil scar on the base.

The bottle exhibits extreme decomposition in some areas that were low in silicates, in which what was the glass now crumbles; and, in others, retains most of the original surface layer of glass from where there were heavier silicates. The bottle has a crack along the main body and some splits in the strings of glass. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing this one was an apprentice piece as it just isn't quite pretty or that well-done.

My only real concern with its authenticity is the teal-coloured patination, or minseralisation, on some of it. I have never dug up antique glass with a tealy patination. It does not fluoresce, but that only helps say, "It's not guaranteed a fake", as some other falsely applied patinations do under a U.V. light.
Robby Raccoon Against the World.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Roman Perfume, C. 4th Century C.E.?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 08:27:45 pm »
It looks heavy, even for 4th-5th-century. Maybe even a little later than that?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Robby R

• Praetorian
Re: Roman Perfume, C. 4th Century C.E.?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 08:35:20 pm »
Hello.

The bottle is blown with the applied strings of glass and weighs in at about 2.7 ounces and is at about 70 mm in height (height approximated as I can't find a ruler).

What would you suggest it is?

Thank you, and have a great day.
Robby Raccoon Against the World.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity