Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Semissis of Romulus Augustus  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Semissis of Romulus Augustus
« on: October 18, 2018, 07:22:46 pm »
Here's a fake semissis of Romulus Augustus, currently being offered by a minor European auction house. Aside from the fact that its completely made up, everything you could possibly imagine about this is wrong (well, the weight's okay, I guess). Ugh. Another specimen popped up in 2012. Why do people get their kids to make fakes of late Roman, western coins? :-)

I've already added the report.

Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Semissis of Romulus Augustus
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 08:09:10 pm »
Thanks Richard.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Poemenius

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 06:31:03 am »
see RIC X p. 211 last line

Offline Vitellius

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 07:15:48 am »
 Hi Hydatius,
do you have a pic of the other example popped up in 2012?
Many thanks !
Enrico

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 07:23:47 am »
Voila!

Offline perporius

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 10:14:35 am »
quelle horreur !!

Offline Vitellius

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 10:41:25 am »

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 08:38:50 pm »
Also if you use the « search » function in the Classical Numismatics Discussion Board and enter « Romulus Augustus », you will find many interesting informations about this emperor’s coins.
DT

Offline Cliff

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 10:24:38 am »
Here's a fake semissis of Romulus Augustus, currently being offered by a minor European auction house. Aside from the fact that its completely made up, everything you could possibly imagine about this is wrong (well, the weight's okay, I guess). Ugh. Another specimen popped up in 2012. Why do people get their kids to make fakes of late Roman, western coins? :-)

I've already added the report.

Richard

Dear Richard, thanks for the report:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-19520

Anyway I have spotted that you added the wrong photo to it, the one of the example in 2012 and not the example in auction now.
Can you or any of the moderators (Joe?) put the correct photo to it?
Then a second report for the remaining specimen could also be added in case.
Thanks a lot!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 11:59:03 am »
We can only add new reports and delete old reports, not change photos.  If a report should be deleted, that can be added as a comment on the report itself.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 08:02:46 am »
That was dumb. I've fixed it and added one for the other photo.
Richard

Offline labienus

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 09:13:30 am »
50 mn before the start of the auction, still around and already a 12500 GBP bid !!!! For he's (or she) a jolly good fellow !!!!

Offline labienus

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 03:57:38 pm »
13 000 GBP . Difficult wake up call one day !!!

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 04:48:51 pm »
I informed the auction house about the coin. Their reply:

"Regarding Romulus Augustus lot 392: we know the opinion of Kent, but the coin is published as genuine in a book written by Italian scholars (mentioned in text), overstruck and maybe of hybrid-barbaric type, to mind the historical period and the vicissitudes of the time.

Also another Italian scholar, Ladich, who has worked very closely with Kent, takes into consideration the existence of hybrid types in this particular historical moment; moreover, the specimen is not on the historical list of forgeries made by Caprara and Cigoi.

It can be said that the coin is now historicized, from its publication and its provenance, at least since 1984: we could not refuse it to the consignor, a great German collector and expert, without a valid reason. At most we should have indicated it as barbaric hybrid, but as it was not published as such, the consignor was very opposed to.

The photograph you sent me is clearly a forgery made by the original one in our auction; attached another forgery made the same forger, with the same reverse die, but with an obverse of Aelia Pulcheria.
However, the benefit of the doubt is lawful, and if objective objections arise, it will be withdrawn from the auction."

The photo he attached (below) is just as bad as the Romulus specimen. "These others are fake, but ours is the real one". They are both jokes, hardly better than our famous 'Mr. Tooly'; the horrible style condemns them both. Kent was completely right (RIC 10, pp. 211-12; I worked with Kent, too, you know, back in the 80s). Someone was just robbed, bigly.

Richard

All coins are guaranteed for eternity