Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ancient Ring Help Please (Gold Plating?)  (Read 1237 times)

Jason U2

Ancient Ring Help Please (Gold Plating?)
« on: October 17, 2018, 04:59:38 pm »
Hello fellow enthusiasts, it’s been a few years since I’ve posted so forgive me if this is not the correct spot to request help. I was going through a batch of various Roman & other bronze rings I’ve collected along side coins and I have a ring I am absolutely lost on. I have two major questions if anyone recognizes or can provide a direction for me to head towards identifying and confirming my first question.

1. The ring is bronze and appears to retain areas of what at first glance looks like gold plating that remains. Is this likely to be the case? If not what would you think the other options are for the plating?

2. I’m almost 100% certain this is not Roman as I’m familiar with and have many Roman rings in my collection and this doesn’t resemble anything from their styles. It has what appear to be crescent moons on each side of a Star/flower design and repeats around the ring. I wish it was Ottoman based one that but I have a feeling it is much later than that or Roman, possibly even later than Medieval period but I am dumbfounded and would love any possible insight regarding it’s possible origin and what the gold looking plating is that remains.

Online djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Ancient Ring Help Please (Gold Plating?)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 07:14:16 pm »
To me it looks modern.

Jason U2

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 01:09:17 pm »
Thanks. I had a feeling it wasn’t anything special at best 1800s to mid 1900s.
What are your thoughts on the remaining plating it once had? Would brass be used on a bronze base or is it possible the gold look is polished bronze and the rest is signs of fading? Up close the gold color doesn’t seem to be a part of the base as it clearly looks as if parts have “flaked” off. Again, my specialty is collecting Greek through Late Roman era so anything from post Byzantine until now is just not in my realm. Thanks again!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 10:22:23 am »
To me it looks like gold plating on bronze. 

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity