Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas!!! Your favorite coin collector must be wishing for an ancient coin!!!! All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas!!! Tell them you want a coin from FORVM for Christmas!!!! Internet challenged? We are happy to take your order over the phone 252-646-1958.

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Other Metal Antiquities (Moderator: otlichnik)  |  Topic: Ancient Ring Help Please (Gold Plating?) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ancient Ring Help Please (Gold Plating?)  (Read 173 times)
Jason U2
Legionary

« on: October 17, 2018, 02:59:38 pm »

Hello fellow enthusiasts, it’s been a few years since I’ve posted so forgive me if this is not the correct spot to request help. I was going through a batch of various Roman & other bronze rings I’ve collected along side coins and I have a ring I am absolutely lost on. I have two major questions if anyone recognizes or can provide a direction for me to head towards identifying and confirming my first question.

1. The ring is bronze and appears to retain areas of what at first glance looks like gold plating that remains. Is this likely to be the case? If not what would you think the other options are for the plating?

2. I’m almost 100% certain this is not Roman as I’m familiar with and have many Roman rings in my collection and this doesn’t resemble anything from their styles. It has what appear to be crescent moons on each side of a Star/flower design and repeats around the ring. I wish it was Ottoman based one that but I have a feeling it is much later than that or Roman, possibly even later than Medieval period but I am dumbfounded and would love any possible insight regarding it’s possible origin and what the gold looking plating is that remains.
djmacdo
Tribunus Plebis 2017
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

I love this forum!

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 05:14:16 pm »

To me it looks modern.
Jason U2
Legionary

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 11:09:17 am »

Thanks. I had a feeling it wasn’t anything special at best 1800s to mid 1900s.
What are your thoughts on the remaining plating it once had? Would brass be used on a bronze base or is it possible the gold look is polished bronze and the rest is signs of fading? Up close the gold color doesn’t seem to be a part of the base as it clearly looks as if parts have “flaked” off. Again, my specialty is collecting Greek through Late Roman era so anything from post Byzantine until now is just not in my realm. Thanks again!
otlichnik
Tribunus Plebis 2016
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 08:22:23 am »

To me it looks like gold plating on bronze. 

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Other Metal Antiquities (Moderator: otlichnik)  |  Topic: Ancient Ring Help Please (Gold Plating?) « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop