Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fake Lepidus Denarius?  (Read 675 times)

Offline Blindado

• Consul
Fake Lepidus Denarius?
« on: October 12, 2018, 08:06:46 pm »
Currently on eBay. To my eye, this item looks like a well crafted version of the second image, which is in the fake reports.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Fake Lepidus Denarius?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 03:34:48 am »
The surfaces are a little more convincing but the style is just as horrible and modern.
Andreas Reich

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 07:34:02 am »
The second coin looks strange but the I can´t see why the style of the first coin should look modern. To me it fits into the variants of style that this  coin type has. Most of them look horrible :)

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 08:58:13 am »
Have I, as the saying goes, 'leaned out of the window too far'?  ;D
You are right, this is not my area and they all look horrible and modern to me. Please disregard my opinion.
Andreas Reich

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 09:52:27 am »
It is of course not written in fake reports why the Lepidus in the fake reports is supposed to be fake.

So it could be:
1. Authentic, we can not verify why it was condemned because no condemnation reason given and it can hapen that authentic coins are condemned, too!
2. Fake from modern dies and all die matches would be fake.
3. Or a transfer die, cast or electrotype fake made from an authentic host then dies matches would be meaningless !!!!

Link to lepidus in fake reports

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-12845

"Submitted to the Spanish Forum Imperio-Numismatico for verification.
Set_2010"       That is a very helpful information now we know that is wrong with the coin ^^

The wear makes it very hard to find die matches but the style of authentic examples is very similar or sometimes even cruder.

http://numismatics.org/crro/results?q=lepidus&start=20

I am not familiar with this issue but the suspected coin hasn´t any at the picture visible typical problems which most transfer dies fakes, electrotype fakes or cast fakes do have.  So it could be either a very good forgery or much more likely an authentic coin, not possible to tell from this low resolution pictures.

Offline shanxi

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 10:04:05 am »
"Submitted to the Spanish Forum Imperio-Numismatico for verification.
Set_2010"       That is a very helpful information now we know that is wrong with the coin ^^

This is the dicussion on Forum Imperio-Numismatico, but the main reason given by the members is that they don't like it.

http://www.imperio-numismatico.com/t12797-reproduccion-denario-de-lepido-y-octavio

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 11:18:20 am »
Disagree on this. The coin looks 100% genuine to me. This is how they look.

The fake in the original posting above has got sharply tooled hair and has very different surfaces - very porous. It might be a cast then improved with a sharp knife.

The coin under discussion (pictured below) has none of these symptoms and is very likely genuine. This is a series I know rather well.

Andrew McCabe

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 05:02:07 am »
I have updated the fake coin report for the tooled specimen.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity