Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The Victory of Chieti  (Read 2345 times)

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
The Victory of Chieti
« on: October 12, 2018, 10:42:09 am »

I don't know what did it, since I have contacted the EU cultural Organisation several times and the Italian Embassy in London several times and other sources who I cannot remember, but have received a reply from the Museum! So an arrow hit home!

Now I have to fill out a couple of forms ( in Italian).

OK, this could be the problem since I have no Italian and I am not, as they were meant to assume by implication an academic member of staff at the University of Warwick and certainly not a professor.

So give me a couple of days to get over the shock and to learn fluent Italian and to master form filling and more implication and hey presto.....fingers crossed

Now, all being well, for the first time since its acquisition in 1954 the Athens New Style section of the Poggio Picenze hoard IGCH 2056 will be studied and quickly published ....by me!

:)

Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: The Victory of Chieti
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 10:43:27 am »
I hope you'll consider submitting your findings to KOINON.

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 10:57:14 am »

Indeed, the Greek community and the Roman community too because the coins also embrace the pre-Sullan and post Sullan times.

The Athene New Styles can be considered as a proxy-Roman coinage according to de Callatay.

IF all goes to plan the other coins can accessed by experts in that field too...the late posthumous Lysimachi coins of Byzantium, Mithridates of Pontus, Bithynia and the triobols of somewhere or other!
Wow I'm feeling giddy......

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 11:09:48 am »
Congrats!

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 12:14:42 pm »

The vital contact was with the Italian Embassy in London and they looked up my bone fides on academia via google...research goes on and on.

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 03:26:34 pm »
Congratulations!  Sometimes the wheels of progress turn slowly, but it is good to know you're going to get there.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity