Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: PETRA. ELAGABALUS AE 20 (Cleaning for a caked coin)  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Chris C2

• Legionary
  • Britannia
PETRA. ELAGABALUS AE 20 (Cleaning for a caked coin)
« on: October 11, 2018, 02:58:07 am »
Here is a piece I purchased as found. The before pictures are after soaking in DW and with a little vulpex soap.  The after photos are after 3 separate 30 minute cleanings with hand tools. after each cleaning the coin was re-soaked in distilled water for 1-3 days.

I think the coin turned out great and has wonderful details for a buried coin. I will take care of the last bit of cleaning on the obverse in the next week or so.

Before and after photos.  The last picture was the seller picture

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
Re: PETRA. ELAGABALUS AE 20 (Cleaning for a caked coin)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 04:10:51 pm »
Great job.... But you should maybe read the desert patina thread above.... There is nothing wrong with your cleaning work here... But you might have left a little more "dirt" to highlight the details...
   Regardless .. good work!

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 05:13:21 pm »
Excellent cleaning job Chris. I bought sometimes from a seller in middle east (maybe the same as you ) and he often add sand to the surface of the coins. So it’s normal that the “fake” desert patina will desappear after just soaking for few days. But you clearly didn’t damage the coin you worked on. Like it has been said many times here, patience is the key for a good cleaning.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 08:48:41 am »
Very nice.  Hard to find Petra coins in this nice condition.

From the photo this looks like it was genuine sandy build up and not the fake glued on sand that, as Dominic notes, is quite common.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 09:12:27 am »
Hi CC2,

Nice job. :)

As other Forum members have pointed out above, sometimes a partial desert sand patina is more attractive.

Here is my example (first coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_arabia.htm

Mine was already cleaned when I purchased it.

Meepzorp

Offline Canaan

• Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=44403
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 11:05:43 am »
Here is mine not cleaned, as found i think an obverse die match
My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=44403
Your Numismatics tour guide in Israel

All coins are guaranteed for eternity