Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The Lydia Coinage books  (Read 1306 times)

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
The Lydia Coinage books
« on: October 06, 2018, 09:07:45 am »
Just an update on the Lydia coinage books
The bronze volume is finished and is at the publishers in Istanbul. I have already sent them a couple of updates but I would say that we have now reached the "cut off" point, so any newly discovered coins or variations will need to go into a supplement.
It is taking a bit of time to resize and reconfigure the images and make sure that - with the font that they are using - the number of coins on the plates match the number of entries on the text pages.
If I remember correctly, I managed to find 5,640 (or near as dammit) bronze Lydians, and nearly 90% of them have images. Two very rare (1 known) issues were hunted down in Prague and Vienna and I even managed to track the provenance of the Prague coin back to the early 1800s.
The Bronze volume does not include "Sardes" coins of Alexander III, Philip III, Lysimachos and the Seleukids with their names.

The person who was supposed to do the silver coins volume has been ill and has been unable to do it, so I have taken on that job as well. At first I thought I would just cover the Lydian cistophori of Nysa, Sardes and Tralles, but then I thought I needed Croesus and the Achaemides, and then I decided to add the Sardes issues of Alexander III's and Philip III. But you can't do them without those of Lysimachos and Eumenes III, and of course there were several Seleukid kings who struck silver coins in Sardes and Magnesia ad Sipylum. So those are being done as well. I am currently on Seleukos I.

I am still puzzling out how to add the archaic Greek letter Z (not "our" Z but the one which looks like a capital I with a wide top and bottom bar) to the Word doc. I can't find it, even when I switch Word to a Greek keyboard. (using the "Greek" keyboard, an Omega, for example, is my V key, Theta is on my U key..). If anyone knows how to do it on a Western keyboard, I would be happy to hear from you!

Offline JBF

• Caesar
Re: The Lydia Coinage books
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 08:39:25 pm »
There are specialized fonts that Classicists use.  For some reason the name 'Cretan' comes to mind, you might contact someone who deals in ancient literature or ancient inscriptions, see if they can make recommendations for your problem.  They may have different names whether they are PC or Apple.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 08:51:02 pm »
You should be able to select it manually from the “add symbol” drop down menu, which will open an extensive table of fonts.  Or copy/past from a document that has it.

Offline Aleph

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 09:21:22 pm »
On PCs, you can open ‘character map’, a windows app.  This will show all available characters in each font, usually an extensive selection of fonts.  You can then copy and paste a character into the text.  A word of advice, choose a character within the font you re using if possible.  Changing fonts within large documents can lead to issues in the editing process.  Good luck.

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 05:40:19 pm »
I couldn't find it in the character map of the font we are using, so I got round it by describing it as "archaic Z" (58) in the text then putting it on the monograms page as number 58.

For interest: I found (and had to draw) 274 different monograms on Lydian bronzes and, so far, 87 different monograms on Lydian bronzes with Tralles cistophori still to do.

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 07:22:48 pm »
UPDATE
On 28th Feb. I received an initial 420 Mb pdf file of the Lydia bronzes volumes, with images, to have a look at. The final version of the text and images, to which I can make additions and corrections should be arriving any day. The staff in Istanbul are currently doing the monogram pages, etc. I will be adding some supplementary coins to the ends of the appropriate chapters.
Then they need to do the same with the electrum, gold and silver volume...
We're getting close to publication...  :)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 08:33:02 am »
Great news! 

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 11:00:49 am »
Great news Dane!
Can't wait to see the final version in print.
Best wishes,

- Walter
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

All coins are guaranteed for eternity