Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Seal St. Theodore? 11-12th Century?  (Read 918 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Byzantine Seal St. Theodore? 11-12th Century?
« on: September 23, 2018, 10:13:10 am »
I purchased another interesting Byzantine seal. It measures 17.46 mm and weighs 5.83 g. I think that it has St. Theodore on the obverse.  Am I correct?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Byzantine Seal St. Theodore? 11-12th Century?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 06:31:44 am »
I believe that the first two lines on the reverse read
 :Greek_Kappa:  :Greek_epsilon: R  :Greek_Omicron:
 C  :Greek_epsilon:  :Greek_Iota:  :Greek_Tau:  :Greek_omega_small:

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 01:17:15 pm »
This is a hard one, because the flan used is a little small. The reverse reads 'Lord aid your servant...' The name is on the last line(s).

KE RO
[H]ΘEI TW
[C]W ΔUΛW
..C or E?Φ?O

Not at all sure of anything on that last line, but that is where you'll find the name of this seal's owner. The obverse might help because the saint depicted is certainly out of the ordinary. His name is probably partly to the l., below the theta shaped latter on top, which is probably a ligature for 'o hagios' - an omicron with a tiny alpha inside. I do not recognize the saint, but if that is a martyr's cross before his chest, that will help in identifying.

Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 01:35:56 pm »
Thank you so much for your information Gert!  I am going to try to discern more from the obverse as to the name of the Saint when I get the chance.  This would appear to be from the 11th Century?  Pogh_poor

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 02:03:52 pm »
Yes, 11th. I'd say circa middle of that century.
Regarsd
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity