Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Stone Bead seal Greek or Roman or ?  (Read 968 times)

Offline Yuris N

• Consul
Stone Bead seal Greek or Roman or ?
« on: September 25, 2018, 09:38:07 am »
Hey everyone !
Is any chance Anyone can help me identify this beautiful seal !

Thanks

Yuris,

Offline JBF

• Caesar
Re: Stone Bead seal Greek or Roman or ?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 03:19:36 pm »
It looks like it was not finished.  Boardman's Greek Rings and Seals (titled something like that, has one seal object that on the different sides, shows the image in various stages of carving).  That is what it reminds me of.  But, I don't know if that would be the case.

Boardman says that for display of the image, it is often best to do an imprint in opaque wax.  The seal was not meant to be seen, and is often on translucent material making it hard to discern.  Remember also that an imprint would appear opposite of the seal stone, facing right instead of left.  Remember left in Latin is sinister, in French gauche.  Right is usually good, left is usually bad, if they are paying attention to such things in any particular example of ancient iconography.

looks like a soldier with a shield and maybe a couple of javelins?  I am not looking at it right....now....so I don't exactly remember what it was like.

Offline Yuris N

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 03:53:03 pm »
Thank you JBF , yes it’s looks soldiers with shield , I’m thinking it could be seleucid or maybe I’m totally wrong could be belong to one of the Mesopotamian kingdom

Regards ,

Yuris,

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 05:48:36 pm »
The style is clearly Greco-Roman so while Seleucid is a possibility ancient Mesopotamian is not.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 06:14:55 pm »
Check this out....seems very similar in design and fabric.....

https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=368793

Offline Yuris N

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 03:57:05 am »
thanks Otlichnik and cmcdon0923 , that was big help,

Regards ,

Nuri,

All coins are guaranteed for eternity