Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I am new in the hobby need some help!  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Basileus Nikephoros Antialcidas

• Consul
  • Nihil tam munitum quod non expugnari pecunia possi
I am new in the hobby need some help!
« on: September 24, 2018, 09:47:25 pm »
Thank you for your answers!
ABSQUE ARGENTO OMNIA VANA

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
Re: I am new in the hobby need some help!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 10:22:37 pm »
Welcome, Sebastian  V  !  Perhaps you should read the Administration Announcements section about the limitations on endorsements.

Forum Ancient Coins is a very reliable seller and a particularly good resource for new collectors. They have  coins from a wide range of Ancient lands and very detailed notes from which you can learn much.  So are the dealers linked to Forum's site.

If you are new to coin collecting, you will be happier with your purchases if you start by "spending" more time learning than you "spend" using your money!  

A final thought:  "reputable" is an expression of opinion.   Check the dealer's guarantees or the rules of any coin dealer organizations that they associate with.

Enjoy the hobby!
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline TenthGen

• Consul
  • Ferrata Fidelis Constans
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 07:57:40 pm »
Hi Sebastian V,

Something that you'll see people saying here quite often is the phrase "Know the coin or know the seller". At this stage, it's somewhat unlikely that you will know the coin or coins in question well enough to feel certain about what you are purchasing. For example, a relative novice like myself is not well suited to be certain about a coin type I've not looked at extensively. So, you are on the right track by trying to "Know the seller" instead.

Forvm and its members usually can't endorse particular dealers since Forvm itself is a coin dealer. There are occasionally members of Forvm who have such a long standing relationship with Forvm that they are allowed to link to their own coins for sale outside of this website. There is also the members auction hosted by Forvm, wherein some members sell their coins.

As PMah said though, you should really look for coin dealers that offer guarantees. That way, even if your purchase turns out to be fake or misattributed, you have the option of getting your money back. Generic, large online auction websites are pretty risky for new collectors, since you would have a hard time getting a dealer there to enforce a return policy and since there are plenty of fake coins floating around. One good idea is to try to use paypal or something similar when purchasing so you will have an extra layer of protection.

There are plenty of legitimate dealers who meet the criteria mentioned above, and you happen to be visiting one of (the, IMO) best. The selection here is very broad, so you could surely find something that interests you. I started out buying uncleaned coins, which is, frankly, a pretty lousy investment, but a good way to learn how to identify common coins, providing what you are buying is of decent quality. I still occasionally buy a small lot of them because cleaning them up can be pretty fun. Most people transition to more specialized areas - for instance I like to collect coins related to Roman legions. I've bought three of them and around a dozen other coins from Forvm.

Finally, read and learn! Books are great, but so is just reading this message board. Identification help, Fake Coin Reports and Discussion, and Ancient Coins Forum board sections are especially helpful for new people to the hobby.

Good luck!

Offline Nathan P

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 09:17:37 am »
eBay is very dangerous and even the legitimate dealers usually put only their subpar coins on there. I'd only go with well known dealers and auction-houses.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 03:21:32 am »
Why did you delete your post?
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity