Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown coin advice requested by a beginner.  (Read 438 times)

Howard M4

Unknown coin advice requested by a beginner.
« on: September 12, 2018, 03:18:15 pm »
Hi, a friend received about 200 coins from her uncle. Most were what looks like generic Mexican pesos and French francs but several have quite a different look.
This looks like the type of coin that belongs in this discussion group but I have zero experience with this type of coin.
Can anyone give me an idea what type of coin this is? Even if it is a fake or counterfeit what is it intended to represent?
It is about 25 gr  and 3 cm in dia.
Thanks for any time you are willing to spend looking at the pictures.
Howard

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Unknown coin advice requested by a beginner.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 03:21:36 pm »
The appearance is strange, like gold gilt, but it is, or looks like a Sestertius of Anoninus Pius with Fides reverse:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3279014

Howard M4

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 03:40:58 pm »
Thank you, that is most certainly what it is supposed to be. What I have learned on this Forvm is that what something looks like means only that. What it looks like, and even if it is genuine the condition makes the market value minimal.
but w/o your feedback we would have no idea what it even looked like.

thanks again for our time and considerable expetise.

Howard

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 03:46:10 pm »
The alloy of a sestertius is of golden color. Maybe it's just the effect of harsh cleaning.

Howard M4

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 06:30:17 pm »
Thank you

All coins are guaranteed for eternity