Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Putting roman coins in rolls of pennies US  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
Putting roman coins in rolls of pennies US
« on: September 17, 2018, 06:00:53 pm »
When I roll up my pennies, I usually put a decent fel temp or something into the roll.  Wondering if anyone else does this or am I just strange?  Wait, don't answer that, I am strange; just hoping to start new collectors.  At some point I'll need to sell my coins.  Just curious.
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: Putting roman coins in rolls of pennies US
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 06:21:27 pm »
  ;D  I've never done this,  but I love the idea.  Of course, your bank might not appreciate it, if you are turning in the penny rolls for cash.  I'm sure the bank relies on the rolls being filled with legal tender pennies!

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 08:31:13 pm »
Reminds me of a story <<<<<dream sequence music>>>>

I had a summer job in college working in a very, very, very small bank.   

Back then, banks paid less for loose coins from the Federal Reserve than for rolled coins, and paid nothing other than labor cost for rolling coins, and our bank was not thriving.  Plus, new coins often got stuck in the various counting machines while circulated coins moved ok.   Because I was the only employee young, strong and stupid enough to lift the mint bags ($1000 in US Quarters weighed about 75 lbs/30+kg) and sit looking at coins for an hour at a time, I got to run the coin-rolling machine.

I was also allowed to pick out silver coins and replace them with my own pocket change, as the bank only cared that the quantity was correct. 
(Now, at $5/hr, before tax, pocket change wasn't exactly "pocket change": one day I came across a $20 gold certificate....  If I was too lucky, I couldn't eat lunch.)

A young collector's dream, right?  Three summers with the coin machine.  Fast forward 30+ years and the coins are worth exactly ......... melt value and a fun story.   

Tying back to Bill's thread...

I wonder if I would have noticed a Roman bronze among the pennies!  I was not even looking for the "wheat ear cents", as even the 1910s were common and I would have fallen behind on my other exciting tasks (shredding, refilling the stamp machine, moving the vault door, chatting up the summer tellers....). 

At least back then, banks really did close at 3:30 p.m.

Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 09:44:31 am »
" Of course, your bank might not appreciate it, if you are turning in the penny rolls for cash.  I'm sure the bank relies on the rolls being filled with legal tender pennies!"                                                                                                                                              I'm sure they do.  I put in 50 pennies and one coin.
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 10:39:55 am »
 +++

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 12:34:07 pm »
Reminds me of a story <<<<<dream sequence music>>>>

I had a summer job in college working in a very, very, very small bank.  

Back then, banks paid less for loose coins from the Federal Reserve than for rolled coins, and paid nothing other than labor cost for rolling coins, and our bank was not thriving.  Plus, new coins often got stuck in the various counting machines while circulated coins moved ok.   Because I was the only employee young, strong and stupid enough to lift the mint bags ($1000 in US Quarters weighed about 75 lbs/30+kg) and sit looking at coins for an hour at a time, I got to run the coin-rolling machine.

I was also allowed to pick out silver coins and replace them with my own pocket change, as the bank only cared that the quantity was correct.  
(Now, at $5/hr, before tax, pocket change wasn't exactly "pocket change": one day I came across a $20 gold certificate....  If I was too lucky, I couldn't eat lunch.)

A young collector's dream, right?  Three summers with the coin machine.  Fast forward 30+ years and the coins are worth exactly ......... melt value and a fun story.  

Tying back to Bill's thread...

I wonder if I would have noticed a Roman bronze among the pennies!  I was not even looking for the "wheat ear cents", as even the 1910s were common and I would have fallen behind on my other exciting tasks (shredding, refilling the stamp machine, moving the vault door, chatting up the summer tellers....).  

At least back then, banks really did close at 3:30 p.m.

I like the stories in this thread but also your Rusty logo because I got a new Rustia yesterday (pic below). Note the blue mark on top of the sheep, coincidental toning but matching typical field sheep.

$5 an hour: 30 years ago min wage was $3.50. So that was a high paid job! And silver quarters as a perk on top!

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 07:27:29 pm »
As usual, Andrew, your research is better than my memory.  I think $5/hr was my pay during the final summer that I had the job, after I had lots of experience....
The funny thing was that I had been turned down for a job as a clerk in a video store the day before I got the bank job.

Paul 

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 07:43:44 pm »
I had to check whether the Rustia made it to my gallery.

It seems to be there.  Always interesting how the legs of most animals -- sheep through horses, bulls and elephants -- on coins are reduced to dots-and-lines, but our mind turns them into more-or-less proportional limbs.

The obverse is a bit weak on right, but overall I like this coin a lot.  Plus no horses or chariots for a change...

Paul 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity