Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Republican coin?  (Read 940 times)

Offline Alberto A

• Legionary
Roman Republican coin?
« on: September 10, 2018, 10:54:05 am »
Hello everybody... and thank you in advance for rerading this first of all.

I'm really getting mad to identify this tiny coin... bau so far... nothing.

Here's a description:

wheight: about 3 grams;
Diameter: about 11 mm
material: bronze (I guess!)
Obverse: head facing right with a hat
Reverse: probably a prow of ship.. a symbol on top.

That's all I can say.

Here's my speculations: it remisds me of a small roman republican coin .. some friends suggested a quartunx (the fouth part os an As)... but the images, even though they are coherent with this hypotesis, are so strange and typical!

Could you please help me identify this mind-puzzling little piece please ??

Thank you very much!

Alberto

Offline Alberto A

• Legionary
Re: Roman Republican coin?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 06:07:42 am »
Hello everybody..

really really noboby can help with this coin please??

I'm really in trouble and I can't figure it out!

Thank you

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 09:44:30 am »
Alberto,

This is not an official coin of the Roman Republic.  Other than that, I cannot help identify it,  nor can I authenticate it.

Offline Alberto A

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 02:19:47 pm »
Thank you very much Micheal.

Is there anybody who has an idea about it??

Thank you all

Alberto

Offline Alberto A

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 01:30:18 pm »
Hi all…

I apologise with you all, I took new and more detailed photos of the coin I'm trying to identify.

Maybe they could of help.

Thank you very much!

Alberto

Offline Alberto A

• Legionary
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 01:38:43 pm »
…. Really really nothing?

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 08:09:20 pm »
You can ask, but that doesn't mean someone can answer.

I like Richard Plant's book, "Greek Coins and their Identification" or something like that.  Some people put him down because he uses woodblock prints, and they can't die match their coins that way.  But one thing he has is an index of images, and listing by images.  So if you have a coin with a crab on it and Heracles, one can look up crabs (better than trying to search through Heracles), and figure out that it may be Kos.

But that might be something that might solve you problem, a reference with an index of types, so you can look it up by type and scan the images.  I am not saying Plant will solve your problem, but Plant is for both Greek and Greek imperial.  You don't have inscriptions, so you can't look it up that way.

I've got two small AE coins each with a head (male) on the obverse, and a tripod on the reverse.  Have no idea where they came from, just too many heads and tripods out there.   Look at it this way, maybe you have something so rare that no one else has heard about it! :)

John

Offline Alberto A

• Legionary
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 02:23:13 pm »
Dear John, dear friends,

thank you very much for your suggestions... even though they seemed to me kind of riddles to solve.. and my limited knoledge of english didn't help.

Nonetheless I followed your advice and searched where you suggested me to search.. I even bought Richard Plants's Greek coin types and their identification ... whitch is certainly precious in my collection but didn't answer my questions on the little coin under scrutiny.

My wandering throught the remotest boondocks of the internet took me in Judaea, where I found a type very similiar to mine... but only the reverse.. a galley... vary very similar... but the rest (the obverse, weight, diameter) didn't match. I attach a pic of this very illusive coin!!

Another path I have been walking on took me In Gaul, city of Massalia precisely (attached photo) .. but I got stuck eventually and still without final answers!!

That said, I just wanted to keep you posted and once again raise some attention on this coin... cause it seems very hard to identify it and that seems very strange to me... I mean... I posted in many sites (in my country as well) ... asked to many people (or i should say ..bothered them!!) but no answers!!

Ok.. that's it… if somebody of you would like to chellenge him/herself with this coin, be my guest!

Thank you very, very much.

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 07:13:45 pm »
Look at the coin you know (the one with the similar reverse), and then look around geographically and chronologically.  Of course, if the coin you know has a ship, then look at port cities, but not just port cities.  Look throughout Judaea, but also look at Phoenicia or related cities.  I am pretty sure it is not Nabataean, (because I am familiar with that coinage a little, and its inland).  But look at people before and after the coin you know, and look at related people.  It might not be in generalized references, but specialized sources.  Seems to be you have it at least narrowed down to Judaea or the vicinity.

Again, I am not saying you'll find it, but that is how I would approach it.  Good hunting!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity