Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I received this roman oil lamp but no info from its provenance  (Read 4319 times)

Yves D

I received this roman oil lamp but no info from its provenance
« on: September 10, 2018, 09:14:54 am »
Hi all,
A friend who's father had to go to a home cleaned the house and gave me this oil lamp. I'm sure its an original but would like to know more as to which era and location it came from. I see some faces on the surface. haven't tried to clean it of course.
Anyone can help me on which area of the roman world I have to look?
Thanks!

Yves D

Re: I received this roman oil lamp but no info from its provenance
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 09:10:38 am »
I think this is the one from 2nd Centrury AD :)

Source: https://archive.org/stream/catalogueofgreek00brit#page/166

Yves D

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 09:36:04 am »
and found a second source: [COMMERCIAL LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Ancient Roman, Asia Minor, 2nd Century AD. Neat Roman terracotta lamp depicting 3 theater masks. With ridge around the discus and continuing as a channel on the rounded spout, pellets around the shoulder and ring handle; the bottom flattened. Light deposits and a nice type! 3 1/2 x 2 1/2 in (8.7 x 6.4 cm). Cf. Bussiere/Rivel, La Collection Rivel (BAR 2012), p. 180, no. 195 for the type.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 10:19:02 am »
Excellent detective work Yves !!

I wasn't aware of the British Museum work, and have now downloaded it.

Craig

All coins are guaranteed for eternity