Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is this a phoenician imitation of an Athena with owl coin?  (Read 850 times)

Yves D

Is this a phoenician imitation of an Athena with owl coin?
« on: September 10, 2018, 09:07:47 am »
Hi everyone, a friend bought this silver what was sold to him as a Phoenician imitation of a Greec Athena with owl coin. We've look at 1001 coin pictures and none had the helmet with 'a single olive palm' as shown on picture. So no clue if we are looking at a real Greec one or rather a Phoenician or even Persian imitation. Anyone can help us here?

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Is this a phoenician imitation of an Athena with owl coin?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 09:30:10 am »
The dealer or seller might have been referring to Samarian imitations, but style suggests otherwise !

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 04:28:43 pm »
I believe it is a crude modern fake--it shows all the signs of being a cast.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 02:13:55 am »
I agree Mac, the signs are there. Material left over from casting (obverse), casting bubbles, file marks and lack of detail on reverse.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity