Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Seals and Tesserae (Moderators: Gert, Ardatirion)  |  Topic: Byzantine Seal St. George / St. Theodore 11-12th Century? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Byzantine Seal St. George / St. Theodore 11-12th Century?  (Read 166 times)
pogh_poor
Caesar

I love this forum!

« on: September 08, 2018, 11:28:26 am »

I acquired an interesting Byzantine seal with St. George on one side and St. Theodore on the other.  It measures approximately 22 mm and weighs 9.84g.  Do I have the correct saints?  I saw similar seal in the Dumbarton Oaks collection which are attributed to the 11th - 12th centuries.  Is that the same for this seal?  Would this be considered an anonymous seal?  Which side would be considered the obverse?  Pogh_poor

All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.
Gert
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 02:11:39 am »

I don't think one can be considered the obverse. The answer to all your other questions is 'yes'! Could be the owner was named Theodoros or Georgios but we have no way of knowing that.
Regards
Gert

pogh_poor
Caesar

I love this forum!

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 08:06:31 am »

Thank you for the valuable information!

All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Seals and Tesserae (Moderators: Gert, Ardatirion)  |  Topic: Byzantine Seal St. George / St. Theodore 11-12th Century? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop