Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Please call if you have questions 252-646-1958. Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Seals and Tesserae (Moderators: Gert, Ardatirion)  |  Topic: Byzantine 7th/8th Century Lead Seal Stratelates? ΜΟCΧΩΑC? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Byzantine 7th/8th Century Lead Seal Stratelates? ΜΟCΧΩΑC?  (Read 536 times)
pogh_poor
Caesar

I love this forum!

« on: September 01, 2018, 12:03:57 pm »

I purchased a Byzantine 7th/8th Century? lead seal with a monogram in a wreath border on the obverse and  Greek_Mu Greek_Omicron C   Greek_Chi Greek_omega_small Greek_Alpha C on the reverse in a wreath border.  It measures 24.32 mm and weighs 16.02 g  The dealer thought that it was the seal of a stratelates, a general.  As I research this interesting seal, I would appreciate any information to identify it.  Pogh_poor

All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.
Gert
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 02:28:48 am »

Yes, I think that must be it. Stratelates is spelled with eta, but the monogram might be read CTPATILATOV. At this time, stratelatos is one of the minor court dignities, and no longer refers to actual generals. The personal name I can't really make sense of. It might be nominative Moschoas, even though the dignity is in the genitive. The name might refer to Hebrew Mozes, even though on seals that name usually occurs as Moses. Moschos and Moschonas I could find. I sold another example of this type some time ago, and that one was found in Israel.
Regards
Gert

pogh_poor
Caesar

I love this forum!

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 11:12:57 am »

Thank you so much for your insight.  I will continue to research this seal.  Do you recommend a very good reference for such seals?   I am quite lucky to work very near Dumbarton Oaks and their great collection of Byzantine seals and coins.  Pogh_poor

All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.
Gert
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 02:09:24 am »

The big 'problem' as opposed to coins is that virtually all lead seals, by their nature, are extremely rare. This means there is usually not much overlap between the various references, which means you will pretty much need all of them...! That being said, there are some that are a good place to start. Towering above all is the Zacos collection, published in 2 volumes of 4 parts text and 2 parts of plates. Vol. 1 is mainly 6th-9th centuries and is the best reference for that period. Vol. 2 is roughly 10th to the fall of Constantinople. These are beautifully published books. Next to those, the DO series on seals is a good place to start. Another considerable series is Laurent's work in his Corpus on seals of the Administration and the Church (he did not complete the Military). THen there is Jordanov's 3 part corpus on Bulgarian seals. And a great introduction to seals in German is Seibt's 1st part on seals in Vienna (Byzantininischen Bleisiegel in Österreich I).
Regards
Gert

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Seals and Tesserae (Moderators: Gert, Ardatirion)  |  Topic: Byzantine 7th/8th Century Lead Seal Stratelates? ΜΟCΧΩΑC? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop