Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine 7th/8th Century Lead Seal Stratelates? ΜΟCΧΩΑC?  (Read 1036 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Byzantine 7th/8th Century Lead Seal Stratelates? ΜΟCΧΩΑC?
« on: September 01, 2018, 02:03:57 pm »
I purchased a Byzantine 7th/8th Century? lead seal with a monogram in a wreath border on the obverse and  :Greek_Mu: :Greek_Omicron: C   :Greek_Chi: :Greek_omega_small: :Greek_Alpha: C on the reverse in a wreath border.  It measures 24.32 mm and weighs 16.02 g  The dealer thought that it was the seal of a stratelates, a general.  As I research this interesting seal, I would appreciate any information to identify it.  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Byzantine 7th/8th Century Lead Seal Stratelates? ΜΟCΧΩΑC?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 04:28:48 am »
Yes, I think that must be it. Stratelates is spelled with eta, but the monogram might be read CTPATILATOV. At this time, stratelatos is one of the minor court dignities, and no longer refers to actual generals. The personal name I can't really make sense of. It might be nominative Moschoas, even though the dignity is in the genitive. The name might refer to Hebrew Mozes, even though on seals that name usually occurs as Moses. Moschos and Moschonas I could find. I sold another example of this type some time ago, and that one was found in Israel.
Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 01:12:57 pm »
Thank you so much for your insight.  I will continue to research this seal.  Do you recommend a very good reference for such seals?   I am quite lucky to work very near Dumbarton Oaks and their great collection of Byzantine seals and coins.  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 04:09:24 am »
The big 'problem' as opposed to coins is that virtually all lead seals, by their nature, are extremely rare. This means there is usually not much overlap between the various references, which means you will pretty much need all of them...! That being said, there are some that are a good place to start. Towering above all is the Zacos collection, published in 2 volumes of 4 parts text and 2 parts of plates. Vol. 1 is mainly 6th-9th centuries and is the best reference for that period. Vol. 2 is roughly 10th to the fall of Constantinople. These are beautifully published books. Next to those, the DO series on seals is a good place to start. Another considerable series is Laurent's work in his Corpus on seals of the Administration and the Church (he did not complete the Military). THen there is Jordanov's 3 part corpus on Bulgarian seals. And a great introduction to seals in German is Seibt's 1st part on seals in Vienna (Byzantininischen Bleisiegel in Österreich I).
Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity