Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: L Staius Murcus?  (Read 740 times)

Offline clem.fandango

• Consul
L Staius Murcus?
« on: September 04, 2018, 09:59:07 am »
I think my greed may have gotten the better of me... Could I ask opinions on this recent purchase? I was hooked in It was sold to me as Marcus Aurelius, where it is clearly trying to be a rare Republican coin of L Staius Murcus, Crawford 510. What is your opinion? If it is an obvious fake and I'm a sucker - could you let me know what are the major red flags on this coin?

Weight: 3.23g
Max Diameter: 17.98

Many thanks

C

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: L Staius Murcus?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 10:37:44 am »

Offline Canaan

• Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=44403
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 10:38:11 am »
Why do you think it is fake!!!
My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=44403
Your Numismatics tour guide in Israel

Offline clem.fandango

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 10:50:10 am »
It feels odd in the hand,
the surface looks off,
[casting pearl l. of kneeling figure?]
the style of the reverse looks wrong,

Basically I had a moment of madness and thought, hey, perhaps.... perhaps...

I'd seen the fake coins previously identified and in hand it looks absolutely 100% to be a match, but I'd clung to a (silly) hope based on what I thought could be differences in the lettering and the lack of that small pellet in the lower part of the reverse.

But I think alas - fake.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 11:34:46 am »
It is clearly cast from the same source as the listed Forum fake. Though one cannot tell from your worn example, the example in the fake reports is 100% wrong incorrect bad not-right style. It is fake, and therefore your inexpensive example must also be a fake.

Offline clem.fandango

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 11:43:16 am »
I feel like a sucker but - I really thank everyone for your help, and thank you especially Andrew for your contribution. Your expertise is something that in 20, 30 years I hope I can begin to approach!

Best wishes

c

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 04:08:37 pm »
I feel like a sucker but - I really thank everyone for your help, and thank you especially Andrew for your contribution. Your expertise is something that in 20, 30 years I hope I can begin to approach!

Best wishes

c

welcome! you may be surprised how quick you accumulate expertise from handling assuredly genuine ancient coins.
Andrew

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 09:37:04 am »
Welcome to the club.  The only one who never, ever ends up without getting a fake, is the guy (or gal) who never takes a chance.  We soon learn that the chances of a great find are usually outweighed by the much higher chance of getting a fake.

Offline clem.fandango

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 10:39:20 am »
Thanks - makes me feel a little less foolish!

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 03:18:39 pm »
You will never end up with a fake ancient coin if you stick to collecting Euros.

But would you want that? :(
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity