Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Please call if you have questions 252-646-1958. Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  The Members' Gallery (Moderators: Robert_Brenchley, *Alex, Enodia)  |  Topic: PMah's Roman Gallery has Launched... Sort of... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: PMah's Roman Gallery has Launched... Sort of...  (Read 2512 times)
Andrew McCabe
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2019, 04:37:00 am »

Thanks, Steve!
   Many more Roman Republicans to follow, if I can find the time and energy and balance to post.   (Balance = I can't hold a coin, Crawford RRC, a glass of wine, and type at the same time, although three would be fine... heck, two out of three ain't bad.)
  Plus, some of my favorite coins came into my life at shows and I do not have dealer photos, adding another task to each post.

This is a very nice gallery illustrating a very fine and well balanced collection of Roman Republican coins. The collection looks just like mine did a decade or two ago. Lovely. I really appreciate your interest in Republican struck bronzes, you have a fine set.

Your gallery here:

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6790

PMah
Consul

Still Rusty in 2019

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2019, 01:09:15 pm »

Thank you, Andrew.   Were it not for your website, which I consult on nearly every type, and your contributions to the literature, the series would be far less accessible and far less understood.  I probably would have focused elsewhere without such a resource.

I only wish I had gotten started a decade earlier.  I regret never meeting RBW, some of whose friends I now have as acquaintances, and experiencing other great Republican collections first hand. 

And thank you to my other Forum friends for your kind remarks and shrewd comments on the coins.

Paul

Carausius
Caesar

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2019, 07:50:35 am »

A very nice, well-rounded, group of additions, PMah, which I've just now (finally!) had time to review.  Well done. 

I need to get back to my own gallery, but I've been too busy with work etc. Will try to add some coins soon.

PMah
Consul

Still Rusty in 2019

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2019, 09:24:43 pm »

I added another 10 Roman Republic coins, and then subtracted three entries that were duplicated, suggesting strongly that I should go to bed.

There are a few pretty ones and some a bit rare-ish.

Paul

PMah
Consul

Still Rusty in 2019

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2019, 09:38:48 pm »

I added nine Roman Republic coins today, mostly "meh", but including a Plaetoria "SORS" denarius in typical awful shape, and a Drachm/Half-Quadrigatus in very nice condition, both a bit rare.

I was hoping to be more ambitious about posting, but 10 seems to be a nightly limit.  I have some nice early bronze to post, which I will prioritize.

PMah
Consul

Still Rusty in 2019

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2019, 07:04:11 pm »

I added an additional 14 Roman Republic coins to this gallery today.  Of some interest:  Sextans from each of Cr 63/6, 64/6, 65/6, which are parts of issues from Sardinia by the known Praetors assigned there for the years 211-209 b.c.e., thus, with the quinarii in each issue, narrowing or even pinning the date of the introduction of the denarius system.  
   Also posted, a struck Uncia of the enigmatic Cr 39 types, with a groovy Sol and unusual reverse of crescent moon and stars, which I view as a last burst of creativity on the bronze for many years. This specimen is ex RBW and McCabe. 
   The types of the Cr 39 issue are creatively varied in a distinct style from cast or struck issues anywhere near the presumed issue date, and there is no clearly-corresponding heavy cast coins for the As or Semis; all the "neighboring" series being accounted for with more readily-associated cast and struck pieces.  I have the rest of the types, but some need much better photos, as they are (typically) rather worn.   (Although we don't discuss current pricing, I will note that RBW's envelope indicates he paid $410 in 1994 for this coin, suggesting it was rather tricky to find then in nice condition, even for him.)    

Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  The Members' Gallery (Moderators: Robert_Brenchley, *Alex, Enodia)  |  Topic: PMah's Roman Gallery has Launched... Sort of... « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop