Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID Help Appreciated....  (Read 545 times)

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
ID Help Appreciated....
« on: August 22, 2018, 06:09:01 pm »
A friend of mine picked this up at the recent ANA in Philadelphia.  The dealer had it labeled simply as "Barcelona".   Can anyone provide a better id?

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: ID Help Appreciated....
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 02:23:26 am »
The chin looks Habsburgian

There are similar coins from Barcelona, but the legend of your coin is different.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3751269

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 11:09:45 am »
Thank you SHANXI.....I'll pass this on to him.

Craig

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 12:50:12 pm »
The coin is from the time of the "Guerra dels Segadors" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reapers%27_War) in the early 17th century AD.

During this time several cities in Spain minted coins with different types. Barcelona has been among them, but the coin presented here is not from Barcelona. If so, the legend on the reverse should read BARCINO CIVI what is obviously not the case.

So the coin could be from a different city or a contemporary imitation, which are existing as well.

Because the date on the coin presented here is a bit strange (it should begin with 16) I think it is an imitation.
But I am certainly not an expert on these coins, so this opinion should be considered with care  :).

Regards

Altamura

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 01:30:45 am »
Thank you Altamura.

My friend and I discussed this coin and basically came to the conclusion that it is most likely a contemporary imitation of a Catalonian seiseno.  We based our conclusion on the overall general crudeness of the portrait and legend (retrograde letters, and somewhat nonsensical wording).  I also theorized that the engraver may have deliberately backdated the die to (1)611 to make the coin more readily accepted in circulation.  Perhaps we're giving the engraver too much credit....he may just have been only semi-literate, and obviously not a trained engraver.

We both wonder if it might still be from Barcelona because you can easily make out "BA..." at the top of the obverse.

Attached is the information my friend has tentatively assigned to the piece.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity